Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good Abattoir Guide  (Read 195847 times)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Good Abattoir Guide
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:06:34 pm »
The latest version is at

www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/links/abattoirs/

This guide is put together from views from smallholders on several forums.

PM me if:
  • your view differs
  • if you support the view
  • If you have some detailed information
  • If your abattoir isn't listed
The more views - the better the guide !

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:07:06 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

themasterbutcher

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Good Abattoir Guide (version 3)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:26:03 pm »
Just an update on the new abattoir at Leicester Quality Meats. I visited the abattoir a couple of weeks ago to see the operation.
This is one of the modern and welfare friendly abattoirs in the country. I am a consultant for one of the largest free range producers in the country and ex officer with the MLC. I would not hesitate to recommend the facility to Smallholders. The issue about CO2 is this. The gas stuns the pigs only, it is prefered to electrical stunning as the pigs enter in small groups which keeps them calm, they dont have to be chased around by a guy with stunning tongs, or get forced single file up a race with electric goads.There is no squealing shouting and yelling and the staff are respectful of welfare issues. I have visited most of the abattoirs in the UK and this is one of the best.
The owners are farmers themselves.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:18:22 pm »
Just an update on the new abattoir at Leicester Quality Meats. I visited the abattoir a couple of weeks ago to see the operation.
This is one of the modern and welfare friendly abattoirs in the country. I am a consultant for one of the largest free range producers in the country and ex officer with the MLC. I would not hesitate to recommend the facility to Smallholders. The issue about CO2 is this. The gas stuns the pigs only, it is prefered to electrical stunning as the pigs enter in small groups which keeps them calm, they dont have to be chased around by a guy with stunning tongs, or get forced single file up a race with electric goads.There is no squealing shouting and yelling and the staff are respectful of welfare issues. I have visited most of the abattoirs in the UK and this is one of the best.
The owners are farmers themselves.
CO2 is  also used in Australia and it is a great way to stun pigs for slaughter. No more electric stunning. although they may use it as a back up if their gas stunning has any  hickups.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:28:45 am »
We (or should I say: our pigs) had a nigthmare last year at an abattoir in Beds, so this year we took our pigs to Leech and Sons in Melbourn near Royston(Herts).  It's a butchery & delicatessen with its own abattoir at the back.

We couldn't be happier, the staff are excellent with the animals! It was calm and quiet, they knew how to handle pigs without stressing them out, and there wasn't a taser in sight. Couldn't praise them too highly! The meat came well butchered and nicely packaged at very reasonable prices. Oaklandspigs, please could you add Leech & Sons to your list, we give them a big fat 10/10!

It's a very good butcher shop & delicatessen, too, btw.  :yum:
Owners and staff alike are very proud of their business and it shows in the excellent service they provide.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 05:30:27 pm »
Thanks Eve, will update the website with your comments in the next few days
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

DeeDee

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 11:53:56 am »
Hi

Got to say this is a great idea Oaklands and wish this kind of guide had been in place when we were first looking for an abattoir, so thanks for taking the time to pull this together. Have sent you a pm on the place we use but thought I'd post our comments here too:

F Simpson and Son, The Croft, Cockfield, Bishop Auckland, County Durham, DL13 5AA. Tel 01388 718264.

We've used Simpsons 3 times now and have been hugely impressed every time. They are a small abattoir with a butchers shop at the front, so they offer a butchery service too. All of the staff we have dealt with at the abattoir have been great with our pigs - very calm and treating them with respect, no rough handling at all. Pigs are slaughtered first (starting at 8am) so no long stressful wait for them.

Susan, who runs the office, has also been very gentle with us! 

Their butchery service has been excellent. You can discuss your requirements with Joe (Simpson) or one of his team if you need to. They will do anything from a basic kill and cut to more precise butchery requirements, including small joints/ packs, and will package however you want (bagged, vac pack, film covered trays etc). We use vac packs and trays, and our meat is always carefully butchered and beautifully presented. They do a range of sausages (including a delicious gluten free version) and will dry cure bacon and gammon. Prices are fair too - good value for money.

Spot on service, great people and an unreserved 10/10!

DeeDee

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »
We used Kirks of Nunnington, North Yorkshire this year for our pigs and had excellent service. We have since heard similar reports from other local smallholders and farmers.

They slaughter and butcher, and run a small number of butchers shops as well.

It would be great to see them added to your document.

Cathy  :thumbsup:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:06:18 am »
DeeDee and PP,
thanks have added these

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:20:33 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

princesspiggy

Re: Good Abattoir Guide
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 09:09:47 am »
i dont agree what u have said about Scotch premier. we have sent at least 12 pigs thru them and never had a problem. if u want certain requirements then u need to ask clearly. if u dont ask u dont get.
they take private killings on a monday and have never been anything except courteous and helpful to me.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 10:13:49 am »
princess oaklands is only compiling a list of abbatoirs they relie on people like you sending there reports to them good or bad    some people can get better service from the the same people on the same day it depends on expectation and attitudes    it should not but it does :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 06:48:21 pm »
i know   :D   just my pennys worth....
now it was mathers who lost 2 of my sheep.....

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:27:02 am »
PP, Am happy to add your comments, i will do this in the next few days
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 09:32:49 pm »
weight restrictions would be really helpful too. scotch premier is 120kg max for pigs.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:04 am »
PP,

Good idea, will add if people let me know if their abattoir has restrictions.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:59 pm »
Hi,in my experience of more than 20 years the best abbatoir i have used is A.Traves of Escrick York if you live in the vicinity. They are big enough to be proffessional but small enough to be personal, they reaise that we have bred and reared our stock on a more closer basis than their commercial customers and are sensetive that when we take them in for the deed doing they dont keep them hanging about and if you call before you go Jane will advise you of the best time to get them there and get the job done over and quickly.All their staff are well trained and up up date with modern procedures with vets and animal health officers in abundance.If you are female you may get a bit of ribbing e.g get the red carpet out mrs m"s pigs are here but it makes a sad job easier
Mrs M

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS