Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Living on your own land..  (Read 11560 times)

apope

• Joined Jan 2011
Living on your own land..
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:57 pm »
I have heard that keeping certain animal breeds can enable you to live on your own land,, Does anyone know if there is any truth to this and if so which animals,, many thanks for reading or answering my question..

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Living on your own land..
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:25:34 pm »
not sure about 'the certain animal breeds' bit , but I think it is about you proving you need to be there with your stock 24/7, for reasons such as tending an incubator or brooder , those sort of reasons. 
Growing mushrooms used to be one avenue that allowed you to live on the land via an agricultural tie . I don't know if that one still applies , as so many people started doing it , there was talk of stopping it , but as I say , I don't know if they did .
 Free range chickens is another possible one , not because they are chickens , but because they are free range and you can prove a need to be there for security etc etc. This would only apply to large scale business , not half a dozen mankie ex bats . You have to provide business plans for 5 years with a further 5 year projection, from what I can remember .
 The usual thing with planning is , there are these loopholes about , until everyone starts using them ... then they change the rules .
 Also remember that each planning area will be different to some extent or other . There are basic rules that they apply , but each council district interprets the rules differently . It also helps if your uncle is on the council , but that is another story  !!! One thing to remember , never speak to the planning about a particular bit of land ... until you are ready to put in for planning , just keep it vague  " if I had a bit of land ?" type of thing .
 Hope that helps a bit  .

cheers

Russ

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:57:41 pm »
I agree with Russ, it's not that easy - if it was, everyone would be doing it  ;)
If you want to build on a piece of land, make sure it has outline planning permission when you buy it - it's the only sure fire way of being able to proceed :-\

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:06:11 pm »
I have hears this applies to llamas and Alpacas, but years ago. I am sure loopholes will have been closed by now.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:16:37 pm »
Hi apope go look here. David will answer questions if you email him. It's not that easy but it is possible but you do need a fair amount of land.
http://www.fieldtofarm.com/about
HTH
Helen

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »
read up about agricultural ties i have worked on several houses with these, this is basically where the local council says yes you can build a house on the land as long as you keep animals on the rest of the available land, this was introduced after the war basically to ensure that farming did not die out and that farmland was not built on! this may well be what you have heard about there are several threads about it if you want to know more!

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 06:07:43 pm »
if you are referring to what animals you can get to justify you living on the land either caravan or house i don't think such an animal exists
you have to have an established business that is viable to support you and your family and over a number of years wither it is livery sheep pigs poultry cattle horticulture or what ever idea you have they have all been tried and failed so unless you have 250+ acres know the planning commite personally or are a planning consultant all i can say is the very best of luck to you  you will definitely need it

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:21:40 pm »
years ago they used to say you could live on your land if you had a stallion, as they were classed as a dangerous animal, but as everyone else has said that loop hole has probably been closed now, good luck

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:05:55 am »
Would there not be a financial tie as well.   Ie the larger part of the income would need to come from working the land?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:28:38 am »
I believe so. The field to farm book discusses it all. I do know someone who successfully did it 10 yrs ago, they had sheep on the land and had to live in a caravan for years first. Tougher now though I believe.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 12:23:52 pm »
Yes, very much tougher.  My friend has 20 acres with a huge barn on it, she has a few donkeys, ponies and sheep.  A couple of years ago she had pigs and one was hacked about and had to be put down - no-one ever caught but a vagrant suspected needing food.  Council won't give her any more than enough points for 0.7 of a person to live on the land. At present she is 5 miles or so away from it and has to go up there 4 or 5 times a day
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS