Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home Made Washing Powder  (Read 7036 times)

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
Home Made Washing Powder
« on: January 12, 2009, 07:19:44 pm »
Hi there,
After reading Rosemary's frugality diary entry I have been thinking about making my own washing powder for a while now and after googling I found this link. It also includes fabric conditioner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anthea Turner's (perfect housewife) recipe for washing-up liquid:

2 ltrs boiling water
2/3 drops tea tree oil
8 gm soap flakes
8 gm of soda crystals
tsp vinegar

Mix and put in soap dispenser

Haven't tried it but hope this helps!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6nH6uovM4

www.makingyourown.co.uk/make-your-own-washing-powder-and-fabric-conditioner

I am going to give it a go,
If anyone else has done this could you let me know of your results and or recipes.

Elaine

Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Wellieboots

Re: Home Made Washing Powder
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:51:32 am »
when I lived in Oz I took a leaf out of Les Higgins (the original "bush tucker man") book and used the soap plant for wasing meself when out camping...to this day I still can't remember the taxanomic name (as I could never pronounce it!) but was a dab hand at finding it. It did also make up a good enough lather to wash camp clothes in too!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:58:59 am »
Cheapest washing powder ever - and a lot less bother - grate one bar of Tesco Value soap (about 13p for three or four bars) and use two tablespoons in the dispenser - I find it works just as well as washing power.  Each bar will give you about 3 or 4 washes. 

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »
Cheapest washing powder ever - and a lot less bother - grate one bar of Tesco Value soap (about 13p for three or four bars) and use two tablespoons in the dispenser - I find it works just as well as washing power.  Each bar will give you about 3 or 4 washes. 

both my children have ezcema so i'm wondering if this would irritate their skins?  currently we use non bio - anyone any thoughts?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:25:24 pm »
Not sure about that.  OH has sensitive skin, very prone to rashes but it was OK for him. Best thing is to check the ingredients and see if there is anything in there which might be suspect.  There's very little if anything in the way of perfume in it.   

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:54:30 pm »
I wouldn't use the tesco value soap as its probably packed with nasties that will aggravate eczema.  I might be biased as a goats milk soap person but 3 of my girls had terrible eczema and i would worry about the parabens and SLS etc in the cheapy soap.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS