Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from a very happy newbie smallholder nr Whitland,Carmarthenshire  (Read 6794 times)

chrisandjohn

• Joined Jan 2011
 I am so glad I spent last night surfing the web - I was actually trying to find out if it was possible to transport sheep in a horsebox or is it illegal? Thus coming across comments from members from TAS about if it was ok to transport a horse in a livestock trailer leading then to my becoming a new member to TAS and spending at least another hour reading comments from new smallholders to wanting to know so much more from the more experienced.
My husband and I and my two younger daughters finally moved to wales from Oxfordshire August 2010 after looking for the right place for over 3 years!
We've always spent our holidays in this region and it has been our goal to become self sufficient smallholders for a long time.We now have an old victorian manse needing extensive renovation surrounded by 11 1/2 acres of gently sloping pasture.
Having got Christmas over and done with all our plans can now start to be put into action and we would like to start with some sheep a) to keep the grass short   b)for the freezer  and c) for us to have some fun and enjoyment looking after them (not necessarily in that order)!
We have some lovely farming neighbours and we are under no illusion as to how hard the work is. Anyway I know that we will be spending time reading all the invaluable advice and tips and hope that in time we will be able to help new smallholders ourselves.
If anyone does have any comments on my original query much appreciated. :sheep:

HappyHippy

Re: Hello from a very happy newbie smallholder nr Whitland,Carmarthenshire
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 03:16:07 pm »
I think (but it's only a guess) that, providing the horsebox has rails on the side of the ramp that it should be okay - I don't keep sheep  :pig: :pig: :pig: so other sheep keepers will keep you absolutely right  ;)
Hello & welcome to TAS  :wave:
You'll have your hands full, but it sounds like a wonderful situation to be in  ;D
Good luck with it and keep posting & letting us know how you get on.
Any plans for a veg patch ? If so, you'll NEED some pigs to rotivate and fertilise the land  ;) I can answer piggy questions quite happily  ;D :pig: ;D :pig: :pig: :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »
hello and welcome from sunny Carnoustie  :wave:

And hens, you need hens. they're great company when you garden and you'll never taste eggs like them.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »
Hello! Welcome from the Northern part of the Principality.  Grow some veggies - can't beat your own home grown stuff.  All the best with your plans. :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:07:14 pm »
Hello from Leicestershire, we're looking to move your way in the next 2 years so let us know how you're getting on.
I can recommend the pigs and chickens just waiting for my 1st litter of piglets.. Pigs are addictive but wonderful animals to keep. You'll get loads of fantastic advice here and lots of support too. Can't help with your question but someone will be sure to.
So welcome welcome look forward to hearing more from you

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:52:26 pm »
it is illegal to transport livestock other than horses in a horse trailer without gates at the side of the ramps
and hello yes get pigs your children will love them
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:54:14 pm by lillian waddell »

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 06:24:24 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave: get some hens they are lovely and im sure your daughters will love them

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:51:54 pm »
Hi and welcome from Sue in Worcestershire.  Your place sounds wonderful and I am sure you will have a lovely life there

This might be some help - it is a link to DEFRA's pdf on it - for some reason the link says poultry but it does go through to the sheep page - I have checked

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/welfare/transport/documents/transport_poultry.pdf

All the best
Sue
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:54:30 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:40:04 pm »
Hi and welcome Chrisandjohn,  :wave:

I'm just up the road from you nr Llanboidy. we are renovating as well, only 'not a manse'  ;D ours is an old farmhouse.

There's quite a few forumers from around here. What sort of  :sheep: are you getting.
You are never to old to learn something new

chrisandjohn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:00 pm »
 :chook:Hi and Thankyou for your welcoming replies. Yes we will be growing our own veg and fruit and having chickens as we have had them before and found them to be such fun to watch they were columbian blacktails and their eggs were large and deliciouswe were lucky enough to have good neighbours who also loved our chickens as they were free range!As we have a bit more land now I might get a little bit more serious about them and increase the number.
My husband has always wanted a couple of gloucester oldspots, me, I prefer the tamworths, this will definately happen in the not too distant future
we have a marshy area in one of the fields would this be suitable? Its about 20ft x 30ft.
Thanks for all your info about the horsebox I will follow up the leads.We will definately need a trailer of some sort to carry livestock but thought a horsebox would be more useful as we will be getting a pony for the girls at a later date.
Sheep not sure which breed yet I like the suffolk but my husband has other ideas too. Thinking of getting ewes with their lambs have been told Jan/Feb good time for this. Bought my husband Sheep book by Tim Hyne for christmas it really is a good read.
By the way 'dyedinthewool' we are at Henllan Amgoed a lovely village which you probably drive through every day. I know llanboidy it is a beautiful village.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 09:02:55 pm »
hello and welcome  :)
Little Blue

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 09:43:46 pm »
Hello and Welcome from.....just up the road too  ;)   We're in Blaenwaun and keep Rare Breed Pigs  :pig:, Ryeland and Greyface Dartmoor Sheep  :sheep:, Anglo Nubian Goats  :goat:, as well as lots of chooks, a few Ducks and a couple of geese.    If we can help just shout and feel free to visit and come and meet the gang.      www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

The Barefoot Crofter

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 09:45:47 pm »
Hello - I am new here too - from the isle of lewis. We have 2 blackface ewes xx

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 10:50:15 pm »
Hello and welcome.

Suffolk are attractive sheep, we used to use a Suffolk ram occasionally. Good luck with the renovation and new ventures!

Beth

waterhouse

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:35 am »
A horsebox is a very useful trailer to have especially an Ivor Williams because you can transport a lot of things other than horses.  Our 510 currently has straw bales and sheep food.  It can't be too hard to make some sides for the ramp.  There is some pretty heavy stuff about transporting animals on the Defra web site - too much space is bad because they don't have seat belts in the back.

Good luck in Whitland, I know it well and learned to fly at Haverfordwest up the road.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS