Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new to carmarthen  (Read 10603 times)

wanabee

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: new to carmarthen
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 12:56:12 pm »
thanks for all you good wishes :wave:

Still on the search for our new home.

If anyone needs a free hand would appreciate learning from the "masters" :farmer:

wanabee

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 01:01:27 pm »
Hello and Welcome from........just up the road  ;D   We're just outside Blaenwaun, only about 7 miles from you ....and a couple of miles from Llanboidy.....Dyedinthewool - well I never, didn't realise there was someone right on the doorstep  ;) ;D :wave:

Hi  :wave:

Your web-site looks great

If you need a free hand just contact me would appreciate learning how it is supposed to be done!!!! :farmer:

TTFN

bsadevon

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Plymouth Hooe
    • http://www.pro-skipper.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 01:06:17 pm »
Welcome from Devon - live the dream....

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 03:09:16 pm »
Hello and Welcome from........just up the road  ;D   We're just outside Blaenwaun, only about 7 miles from you ....and a couple of miles from Llanboidy.....Dyedinthewool - well I never, didn't realise there was someone right on the doorstep  ;) ;D :wave:

If you need a free hand just contact me would appreciate learning how it is supposed to be done!!!! :farmer:

Now there's an offer I can't refuse  ;D      What would you  LIKE to do, given a choice  :D

TTFN
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

DyfedZoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 04:02:29 pm »
Hello. Welcome to Wales, and to Carmarthenshire  :wave: we moved here 7 years ago, love the place, very friendly people, settled nicely. Live near Cross Hands and also have The Equine Shop by the botanic gardens with my friend and business partner Carol  :)

Will you be working as well as running your smallholding? or retired and smallholding? or just smallholding? as all that will make a difference to 'where' you decide ultimately to settle in to, especially with the cost of petrol/diesal going through the roof every five minutes  >:(

We have solid fuel for heating/hot water, decided against putting oil in when we moved here as we couldn't afford to at the time - glad we didn't!! We can run 12+ radiators and have hot water 24/7 for next to nothing usuing wood and even with coal (anthracite) it's enormously cheaper to run than oil or gas  :farmer:   so if you are fit and able, could be worth looking at property with some woodland so you can chop/process/grow your own wood??? will save you a fortune in the long haul if you have the time and energy to do it.  We bought a log splitter which is fantastic, cuts through the wood like butter, so even if you have to have a man with chainsaw to cut the trees down you can still split and process the wood yourself.

We keep chickens for eggs and rear our own for meat/egg laying in the spring time, always happy to share knowledge and tips etc, but probably wont be thinking of chooks for a few months yet but you are welcome to call in to the shop. I'm recovering from Pleurisy at the moment so might not be around much for a few weeks on a regular basis, but if you are passing this way, do pop in you can always pin a notice on the board offering your help, we have a number of customers with farms etc that might be pleased of some help. There is also Dyfed smallholders club meets once a month in carmarthen.
Friends are selling a property in Mynydd Cerrig with 2 or 3 acres, not sure what your price range is? they are looking for around £300k, nice large 4 bed bungalow with the land stretching out the back, outbuildings etc and stables. If this is within your budget, feel free to message me and I can put you in touch.  :)

wanabee

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 06:06:14 pm »
Hello. Welcome to Wales, and to Carmarthenshire  :wave: we moved here 7 years ago, love the place, very friendly people, settled nicely. Live near Cross Hands and also have The Equine Shop by the botanic gardens with my friend and business partner Carol  :)

Will you be working as well as running your smallholding? or retired and smallholding? or just smallholding? as all that will make a difference to 'where' you decide ultimately to settle in to, especially with the cost of petrol/diesal going through the roof every five minutes  >:(

We have solid fuel for heating/hot water, decided against putting oil in when we moved here as we couldn't afford to at the time - glad we didn't!! We can run 12+ radiators and have hot water 24/7 for next to nothing usuing wood and even with coal (anthracite) it's enormously cheaper to run than oil or gas  :farmer:   so if you are fit and able, could be worth looking at property with some woodland so you can chop/process/grow your own wood??? will save you a fortune in the long haul if you have the time and energy to do it.  We bought a log splitter which is fantastic, cuts through the wood like butter, so even if you have to have a man with chainsaw to cut the trees down you can still split and process the wood yourself.

We keep chickens for eggs and rear our own for meat/egg laying in the spring time, always happy to share knowledge and tips etc, but probably wont be thinking of chooks for a few months yet but you are welcome to call in to the shop. I'm recovering from Pleurisy at the moment so might not be around much for a few weeks on a regular basis, but if you are passing this way, do pop in you can always pin a notice on the board offering your help, we have a number of customers with farms etc that might be pleased of some help. There is also Dyfed smallholders club meets once a month in carmarthen.
Friends are selling a property in Mynydd Cerrig with 2 or 3 acres, not sure what your price range is? they are looking for around £300k, nice large 4 bed bungalow with the land stretching out the back, outbuildings etc and stables. If this is within your budget, feel free to message me and I can put you in touch.  :)

Hi thanks for getting in touch :wave:

Hope you get better soon as Pleurisy does not sound too much fun!!!

Have sold my previous business so do not need to work (yet anyway) and hopefully will be able to live off my better halfs earnings!!! (if she will let me!)

That would be great if you could put us in contact with your friend selling the property and do you know when and where the small holding group meet?

again many thanks for reply :farmer:

wanabee

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 06:12:39 pm »

Now there's an offer I can't refuse  ;D      What would you  LIKE to do, given a choice  :D

TTFN

many thanks for getting back in touch ;D

Would like to get Hands on Experience with Sheep  :sheep: and Pigs :pig: if possible or fencing and general day to day maintenance.

again many thanks

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 07:37:21 pm »
If anyone needs a free hand would appreciate learning from the "masters" :farmer:
Well that lets me out then ::) ::) still learning myself...  :dunce: ;D
I would be interested in the Dyfed Smallholder meeting - good to meet up and learn something new (never too old)

Seems there are quite a few of 'us'  :farmer: around the Carmarthen area on this forum.
You are never to old to learn something new

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 05:05:37 pm »

Hi DyfedZoo,
I am interested in what you are saying about the heating/hot water. Do you use an Aga/Rayburn or is this from a back boiler?  We are currently looking for a property and I am conscious of the cost of oil and gas. So if the new property doesn't have something suitable I might need to build in the cost of renewing the heating system.  Sounds as if it would be cost effective in the end, particularly if we end up somewhere with our own supply of wood.

thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 06:29:42 pm »
Hi and welcome from Worcestshire

Happy New Year
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 11:28:36 pm »
If you're on the way to Carmarthen house-hunting, feel free to take a detour to Caerphilly (Risca junction off the M4) and come and see the pigs. Happy to show your round (but bring wellies - very muddy at the moment).

All the best
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS