Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: complete dog food  (Read 21932 times)

Sandy

Re: complete dog food
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2011, 04:40:48 pm »
Some one tells me that either Lidel or aldis have very good all in one food, seems too good to be true, is it?

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2011, 05:54:47 pm »
. i feed james wellbeloved and i think its great for my samoyed as she has a lot of allergies to alsorts so she is on a cereal free diet which works till they find something she cant have then its back to the vets for tablets..   >:(

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »
Some one tells me that either Lidel or aldis have very good all in one food, seems too good to be true, is it?

Yes Sandy.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2011, 07:04:13 pm »
We currently feed our dogs skinners ... about £20 for a 15kg sack and I believe about 26% protein (although would have to check!)

We have a border collie cross who cannot have any artificial colours or preservative due to his skin and who holds his weight well, a black lab who will eat anything you throw at him (but won't touch the other dogs bowls once his is empty!) and a Spanish Mastiff cross who we struggle to keep weight on in the winter.

Our dogs are free fed in that their bowls are refilled whenever they are empty. They are all looking very good right now and are very fit and healthy. They get the odd gutted rabbit or squirrel if my OH has been shooting and pretty much as much horse poo as they can eat  ::) >:(

Would be interested to see if anyone has any opinions on the feed we use. I second that arden grange is a brilliant food but our collie doubles in size on it!!  ;)

In my opinion loosey, Skinners isn't too bad.

I've said before that feeding raw gutted animals is wonderful so keep that up as much as you can. Even the horse poo is good, just minging for us to watch  :)
I wouldn't worry too much about protein levels. The amount of good quality ingredients is most important. NO derivatives.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 10:21:58 am »
Even the horse poo is good, just minging for us to watch  :)

I didn't know that - that will account for why mine love picking up huge dried clods of the stuff and chucking it about.....

....and chewing on cut off hoof remnants after the farrier has been.

:horse:  :dog:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 08:06:25 pm »
Even the horse poo is good, just minging for us to watch  :)

I didn't know that - that will account for why mine love picking up huge dried clods of the stuff and chucking it about.....

....and chewing on cut off hoof remnants after the farrier has been.

:horse:  :dog:

When it's icy I use horse pooh to play fetch with my boys! So versatile!! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS