Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: complete dog food  (Read 21902 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: complete dog food
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 07:43:05 pm »
Just being nosey really but what area in Brum knightquest?

I agree about not overfeeding dogs. Ours get their quota, any fresh 'leftover' additions are added into the quota and the equivelent standard dog feed deducted from that quota accordingly. Their food isn't always finished each day so I know they aren't hungry.

Result is happy, fit doggies.

And here's good tip for a larger dog drinking bowl - I bought some old fashioned 'potties' (the sort that went under the bed). A nice big drinking bowl and cute to see doggie enjoying his 'gus-under'.

:dog:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 08:53:33 pm »
:D  oh no, my wolf dog would make SO much mess with that!
this is the dog that plays in the shower,  and who (I'm sure) fills her jowls with her drinking water before coming to "kiss" me!!
Little Blue

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 11:39:07 pm »
Just being nosey really but what area in Brum knightquest?

Erdington, OhLaLa. About a mile and a half from Spaghetti Junction.

Love the idea of the 'gus-under' for the drinking bowl  :D :D

Angela, who works for us has a St Bernie and a Dogue De Bordie..............man can they dribble and retain water. She's trained them to stand still once they've had a drink so that she can go and wipe their mouths  :D ;D :D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 11:43:08 am »
 In reply to 'Knightquest's
Any information about what food you feed and what happens to your particular dogs would always be appreciated as the more info I get, the more I can help other dog owners so please keep me informed.

Hi all,
 We have a  2 year old Springer Spaniel and two Parson Russell Terriers 5 and 7 years old who are on Pets at Home Complete (only 4% meat)
They all enjoy this, but they're not particularly 'picky', although  having said that they're not too keen on Supadog Complete and they won't eat tinned dog-food, which I thought I'd give them for variety.

We do also regularly feed raw chicken wings and feet (we keep Sassos for meat).  We also give them some bones when beef and pork come back from the butchers. They all go off rabbiting, can't seem to stop them (they are terriers) and I know they all eat some of what they catch. I will admit they also get any leftover casserole, stews etc also  raw meat trimmings when I'm preparing meat for cooking.

They are all doing well on this diet are fit and healthy as well as a being nice and trim. They all have good teeth and gums which I put down to all the bones they crunch.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:51:54 am by Snapper »

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 06:21:44 pm »
Thanks for that Snapper. You are bang on about the bones. They are essential for dogs providing they are raw.

The exercise and balance between raw rabbits and casseroles is a good mix. I wouldn't personally worry about variety............they get loads already  :) I certainly wouldn't introduce tinned food as the dogs probably think "what's this crap?"  ;D and they'd be right.

It's interesting to see how many dogs catch their own food...........love that!

thanks again,

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 06:41:37 pm »
Mine are pretty good at catching the cat when he arrives with a tasty snack! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »
Has anyone used or is using Dr Johns silver medal complete working dog food?
Basically is it any good?

Yes I feed this to my 2 dogs...Golden retreiver and patterdale terrier. I buy it from local feed merchants. I pay £8.49 for a 15kg bag. Have been feeding this for around 6 months and they are doing very well on it. They used to have Scats gold menu but went off that. I also feed scraps ( our left overs )

Hope this helps :)
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 07:49:55 pm »
I thought dogs etc could NOT eat chicken bones??????

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 09:44:00 pm »
only if raw.
cooked bones can splinter and cause lots of damage....
Little Blue

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 11:59:15 pm »
hi
we feed raw/barf and have done for years now, we changed after feeding iams eukanuba, it said on the sack on artificial colours, preservatives or flavours, then in small print they said that they used an antioxidant called ethoxyquin, which is used to stop fats going off, its also believed to cause cancers and other problems. they later stopped admitting to using this chemical by saying they were using an ec approved antioxidant. i understand they now say they dont use this at all in any of their over the counter feeds but do use it in vet prescribed feed. this doesnt mean its no longer in the feed because it can be added by the meat supplier and they dont have to admit to it, anyway i dont trust these large companies with the well-being of my dogs any longer.

as for the price of raw, it can be very cheep if you get on well with your butcher and you have a small number of dogs, even with more dogs we find it cheaper or as cheap as the so called premium dry feeds.
kn 

Sandy

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 12:42:52 am »
I get mixed up re food too, I add some raw minced chicken to thier Dr Johns Gold and also some more expensive food, cobby dog chicken and rice although our breeding bitch is now on good quality puppy food mixed with either fish or chicken as she is very faddy but hungry. My labs look a little fat I think but I am never too sure about winter food, in the summer I do not mind them getting a bit thiner..like me!!!!! I may just give them some chicking wings the next time we have some meat birds (once we'ved dispatched them though ;) )

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 03:41:41 pm »
Please be careful when mixing dry complete with raw food. They have different absorbtion rates and can upset the stomach or affect the system when mixed together.
If you have to feed both (I don't and wouldn't personally) then feed one type in the morning and the other in the afternoon. If your dogs are fed daily then alternate between complete and raw.

If you must add a biscuit to raw or tinned for that matter, then it must be a proper mixer biscuit. Something like Terrier meal for instance.

Remember that dry complete of any standard is meant to be just that.....Complete. Nothing should be added.

Ian

Sandy

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 10:13:52 pm »
What do people think of CSJ dog food?Its been recomended to me!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 11:23:03 pm »
My trainer used to promote it but has stopped.  He found something better and CSJ was getting to expensive for his clients.  I've never tried it - too dear for me.  Welcome home :-)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2011, 04:01:22 pm »
We currently feed our dogs skinners ... about £20 for a 15kg sack and I believe about 26% protein (although would have to check!)

We have a border collie cross who cannot have any artificial colours or preservative due to his skin and who holds his weight well, a black lab who will eat anything you throw at him (but won't touch the other dogs bowls once his is empty!) and a Spanish Mastiff cross who we struggle to keep weight on in the winter.

Our dogs are free fed in that their bowls are refilled whenever they are empty. They are all looking very good right now and are very fit and healthy. They get the odd gutted rabbit or squirrel if my OH has been shooting and pretty much as much horse poo as they can eat  ::) >:(

Would be interested to see if anyone has any opinions on the feed we use. I second that arden grange is a brilliant food but our collie doubles in size on it!!  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS