Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the lakes....... 'pet pigs'  (Read 15820 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: the lakes....... 'pet pigs'
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 11:50:40 am »
Did anyone else think the sow looked like she had a skin problem? Also no bedding in his specially built truck!
yes me and my family all commented on it!!!!
so much for 'caring'

manian :pig: :pig: :chook: :turkey:

HappyHippy

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 01:01:45 pm »
I'm not even going to start my whole rant again, I've not got the energy  ;)
BUT for anyone who wants to comment to the programme makers - here's the email address viewerservices@itv.com
I would urge you to write to them with your views, concerns and point out how it's supposed to be done (my 7 year old knows more about pigs than this guy ::))
It's all very well us sitting here talking about it - if the programme makers don't know about it, they're going to keep on publicising mini-pigs. I'm sure they mentioned 'minature rare breed' pigs on last night's programme  >:( :o Such lack of information, they've obviously NOT done any research into this subect - which is totally shocking and they are needing set straight, before every house, flat and caravan in the country has one  :o
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:09:16 pm by HappyHippy »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 03:48:11 pm »
I definitely agree write to the programme makers but dont expect a genuine response. I wrote twice from two different email addresses and got the same non comittal response each time.  However the more people who do write the more chance of someone thinking twice next time.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:13 am »
Vets do not spend as much time learning about pigs during their training as they do with other animals. So they are stumped when something unusual comes up. We had a litter from a tamworth die a few years ago, literally within two days of being born. The vet did not have a clue. We had a postmortom done on the last one which we had to knock over the head to prevent it suffering anymore. We told the vet we were doing this so it would not come as a shock when they did the pm. A few days later, he got the results back, had obviously forgotten what we had said and told us the sow had obviously lain on the piglets as this had a fractured skull duh!!! It was a very experienced breeder Brian Card who had had the same problems as us and lost quite a few litters before they found out the cause who told us what it was. So I don't have much faith in vets and pigs. We have heard of another vet who was called out to a sow who had given birth to four piglets but had been straining and straining, for quite a while so the vet in her wisdom thought she was prolapsing and sewn her up. She and the piglets still inside her died. Whether she had actually checked to see if there were any more piglets I don't know.
Sorry, i missed this Pigman - I think you were responding to me?
What I was trying to say is that we found a Pig Vet, not just a vet who will look at pigs, if that makes sense?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS