Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the lakes....... 'pet pigs'  (Read 15819 times)

princesspiggy

Re: the lakes....... 'pet pigs'
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 11:52:53 pm »
when i first heard about micropigs ( at the kids school actually) i thought they must be a certain breed of pig from another country, like the pot-bellied ones, when that craze hit years ago.
how can anyone expect a piglet coming out of a tammie cross be small? doesnt make sense. i thot the bloke in the programme was a bit odd, wudnt buy a pie off him, no matter a pig   ::) :pig:

f3rr3tt

• Joined Nov 2010
  • cumbria
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 08:21:42 pm »
dont believe all you see on TV. i live about 10 miles away from the place that breeds socalled micro pigs; and youre all right, he doesnt know how to look after pigs .ive heard one roumer that he has more piglets die than survive.and his pigs are very over crowded and filthy. his publicity could do him more harm than good hopefully!.

pigman

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 08:55:56 pm »
I think it is common knowledge that alot of his pigs die and not just when he has them, some have died  for unknown reasons soon after they have gone to the customer.  I had one person ring up desparate for advice, her pig was ill and the vet didn't have a clue, however eventually the vet after reading up deduced it was a genetic disease. Unfortunately the pig died. How has he got away with things for so long, that was absolutely astounds me.

HappyHippy

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 09:07:02 pm »
What really shocks me is that, even with all the adverse publicity and maxi mini's that are showing up here, there and everywhere, there are TV programmes seemingly endorsing this trade. They only need to google micro/mini/teacup and do 10 minutes reading to know that all's not what it seems   >:( They're either ignoring it cause it suits them to, or not spending any time on research  ???
There's a mini pig breeding business for sale on ebay Pigman, see the thread 'please don't buy a mini pig for xmas' thread for the link to it !

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 12:12:42 am »
They even had two so called mini pigs on the sky 1 sports quiz show called 'A League Of Their Own' because David Beckham bought his wife two of them.  :(

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 08:25:52 am »
I think it is common knowledge that alot of his pigs die and not just when he has them, some have died  for unknown reasons soon after they have gone to the customer.  I had one person ring up desparate for advice, her pig was ill and the vet didn't have a clue, however eventually the vet after reading up deduced it was a genetic disease. Unfortunately the pig died. How has he got away with things for so long, that was absolutely astounds me.

Your comments about the vet worry me. Our local vet was very up front about the fact she knew nothing about pigs.
We researched vets before we got our first pigs. There are very few in our area that can offer care for pigs. We contacted one before getting the pigs and got regsitered. We let them know when the pigs arrived and when they left so they were aware that we may call them during that period. We shall give them a call when we get our next ones.

pigman

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 06:16:32 pm »
Vets do not spend as much time learning about pigs during their training as they do with other animals. So they are stumped when something unusual comes up. We had a litter from a tamworth die a few years ago, literally within two days of being born. The vet did not have a clue. We had a postmortom done on the last one which we had to knock over the head to prevent it suffering anymore. We told the vet we were doing this so it would not come as a shock when they did the pm. A few days later, he got the results back, had obviously forgotten what we had said and told us the sow had obviously lain on the piglets as this had a fractured skull duh!!! It was a very experienced breeder Brian Card who had had the same problems as us and lost quite a few litters before they found out the cause who told us what it was. So I don't have much faith in vets and pigs. We have heard of another vet who was called out to a sow who had given birth to four piglets but had been straining and straining, for quite a while so the vet in her wisdom thought she was prolapsing and sewn her up. She and the piglets still inside her died. Whether she had actually checked to see if there were any more piglets I don't know.

robert waddell

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 09:08:05 pm »
what was wrong with the pigglets

pigman

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 11:09:39 pm »
Well brian called it abbotstown e-coli, the milk was poisoning the piglets, there were no signs. The sow was healthy and well looking. The piglets just looked as if they had died in their sleep. You can inject the sow six weeks before farrowing then three weeks before, thinks that right, can't quite remember and that normally sorts it.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 08:10:59 pm »
.... that pr*ts on again!
 Mrs Micropig nearly backed a truck over a load of weaners!!  and he just stood there.... "woah, hang on!"

and is it really ok to keep that many pigs of all different sizes & ages all together??  ,aybe it is, but I wouldnt.

waiting to see the "smallest litter of micropigs"  .... cross already!!
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 08:30:41 pm »
I wanted to see them too  >:( But hubby's banished me to the office  ::)
Too much shouting and huffing at the telly - he said he couldn't hear it because of me  :o Not that you need to be able to hear, to see what an idiot the guy is ! Walk up to a pig in the field, she doesn't like you and show's you this - whaddya do ? Well, most sensible people would leave the pig alone and go back later (or offer a treat to bring her round) what does this self proclaimed 'expert' do - pokes and prods at her, jumps about a bit and trys to get her to move ! Beggers belief, it really does.
Even my 7 year old was sitting there, giving it - you don't wanna do it like that.................... ! (wonder who she gets that from) ::) ;D

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 08:57:13 pm »
OMG again
the angle of the ramp from the van was about 50 degrees!!!
and he parked to make it steeper......... they said it breaks his heart to let them go and hopes they are looked after!!!!!
grrrrr i suspect the vast sums of money helps!!!!!!!!!!!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 09:47:30 pm »
Did anyone else think the sow looked like she had a skin problem? Also no bedding in his specially built truck!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 08:25:49 am »
First time I had seen the program on TV, but what an idiot. All I can say is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR >:(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS