Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the lakes....... 'pet pigs'  (Read 15821 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
the lakes....... 'pet pigs'
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »
is anyone watching the lakes tonight.
they have a piece in pet pig breeding!!!!

HappyHippy

Re: the lakes....... 'pet pigs'
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:36:16 pm »
What's the Lakes  ???

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:22:49 pm »
watching it now .... and this knowing the phrases "pet pig" and "micro pig" get my blood boiling before even hearing what is going to be said!
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:30:58 pm »
I know what you mean little blue. My daughter told me her friends mom bought a micro pig for Xmas... My blood boiled when I learnt it was being kept on it's own. So cruel..

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:31:49 pm »
What's the Lakes  ???
its on itv 7.30 a tv programme.
.... and this knowing the phrases "pet pig" and "micro pig" get my blood boiling before even hearing what is going to be said!
i agree little blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 08:44:39 pm »
Uh oh ! I'm NOT a micro fan  >:( (in fact, I'm positively anti them and go out of my way to try and tell folk the TRUTH about them !)
BUT I'll watch the programme on i-player
I s'pose it'll be the 'founder' of the micro pig business up in Cumbria then - the one some of my fb friends are too well aquainted with  ::)

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:50:02 pm »
happy hippy i wont spoil  your viewing by saying anything zip tightly closed

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 08:55:50 pm »
AAAaaaarrrrgggghhhh - only halfway through and I don't know how much more I can watch !  >:(
I'll refer you to this thread for my views (saves me typing it all again ;))
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=11466.0
Grrrrrrr mini pig breeders - you've a LOT to answer for  ::)

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:04:00 pm »
Pfft !
Without putting all this time in ! (his words) aye right ! he shut his Tamworth in a trailer in the field and went back the next morning to see if she'd farrowed - that's NOT the way to do it  >:(
And he's crying that they have to go - is that why he charges over £500 a piglet, cos he wants to keep them all  ???
His paddock looks totally overstocked too, and I wasn't terribly impressed with his pig moving and handling ability - but then, not everybody can be as perfect as me  ::) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »
you said it HH! 
Little Blue

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:57:07 pm »
and not forgetting his pig whispering talents

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:20:31 pm »
Just watched this on itv player as thought id see what you were talking about,now i wish i hadnt,it was awful couldnt stop swearing at pc! just my point of view but i think the sad thing is everyone who watched it unless they know how it really works like us smallholders the tv public will think that its normal to shut a sow in a trailer for god knows how many hours to have her litter and to keep so many together in the same space. Crocdile tears i say.

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:24:32 pm »
Yesssssss I forgot about that ! I'll need to tune in to see that marvel  ::)
He can't be very good at reading their body language going by the reactions of some of his pigs towards him  ??? let's hope he's better with the spoken word  ;)
It makes me wonder though, I know what my pigs are saying by their grunts (as I'm sure most, if not all of us do) does that make ME a pig whisperer too or am I just piggin' mental  ;D ;D ;D

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 10:51:08 pm »
The bit that wound me up the most was he stuck the sow in the trailer and the voice over said all he can do now is to go home and to wait for the sow to farrow, then you saw him driving up to the field in the morning in full daylight then going to the trailer where the sow had had her litter to say that the piggets were far to big to sell to the public and they are 1hr 30 mins old,how would he know he wasnt there.

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 11:49:28 pm »
yeah, all he can do is wait to the morning  ??? I'm sorry, but that's b******* >:( all I can do is check my pig hourly, day and night from when the milk comes in until she starts to farrow and stay there throughout farrowing. AND mine are taken in a few days before to an easily accessible shed, with heat lamps and light (incase I, or a vet needs to intervene) and where was the sow's water in the trailer ?  >:( And how come he, as someone who claims to care so much about his pigs, didn't know when she was due ? Or maybe he always waits til they're just about to drop before he moves them, given his less than ideal maternity unit - at the prices he sells piglets for he CAN afford a better set up  :(
The bit that got my blood boiling (well, one of many  >:() was when he appeared from an arc with a basket of tiny piglets, holding them at chest height as they tried to clamber out and was going on about how careful you've got to be with them -these extra special very small ones !  ::)
As long as shows like the Lakes keep putting on pieces about these mini mongrals without doing adequate research into what they are telling people, the public will continue to see these as an acceptable house pet and in a year to two years time rescue centres the country over will be bursting with maxi micros !  :'(
Ooooo rant over, I'm off to bed !
G'night folks  :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS