Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: range cooker wanted  (Read 9551 times)

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
Re: range cooker wanted
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 05:30:22 pm »
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/La-Nordica-Romantica.html

I don't know if it has a backboiler... But brand new and
under £1000 can't be bad!!

It's 6kw which is pretty good. I've recently installed a 6kw woodburner downstairs and it heats much of the downstairs and some heat wafts upstairs.... I'm hoping
to buy a cooking range
like this soon to heat the back of the house... A kitchen/diner/bathroom/utility extension which is badly insulated!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 06:01:57 pm »
That looks nice actually.

I have to say I do agree with comments about aga's etc. We had a "Stanley range" when we moved in here- with a convential oven beside it as well! The amount of oil it used was incredible- and as you say putting out heat at a time when you didn't need it! We switched the heating system over to an external combi boiler and our oil comsumption is more than a 1/3 less.

Solid fuel cookers are, obviously an entirely different thing, and if you have the time and energy, they are great.

Beth

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 06:18:51 pm »
certainly looks nice and not to bad a price as well  we had a wellstood solid fuel cooker when we changed it it had been badly fitted changed for a Stanley  to run the central heating dick Turpin installed it and serviced it until we located a better engineer  and cheaper  we can give his number to anybody thats needing it Stanley's are ineficiant as are agas and they are dearer to buy install and service

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 06:44:16 pm »
Thanks, Johnmac, I'll get in touch with them if they have what we need. They look nice (not so bulky) and cheap, too!
I'm checking ebay all the time but nothing in our area - can't travel to Dorset, lol...
Our cottage actually had one in the room where I want it now (living room) until they built the extention(kitchen and bathroom) in thge 50s and converted it into an open fireplace with back boiler. Abosolutely useless for efficiency. We need the back boiler as it used to be 2 cottages and we have 2 hot water systems! I'd love to make most use of the water heating and be able to bake if it's running ayway! Work can't be more than at the mo with the open fire  ;D :&>

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 09:17:56 am »
Glad I could be of help! The web company have a very good reputation and can design installation for free. There are many cheap generic ranges on eBay... But they all look flimsy and cheap. Must admit, I would love an esse ironheart... More for the looks than anything.... But at £2500 it's a bit much!

This little woodburning range looks great for the price!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 11:17:39 am »
We've got an Aga Rangemaster cooker with two electric ovens and an induction hob. Love it. They heat up and cool down really quickly. We have no mains gas so I didn't relish the thought of an electric hob but the induction one is very good. And sooooo easy to clean.  ;D

The traditional Aga is lovely but I don't think it's very practical nowadays and often not very sound environmentally, unless it burns wood. But I don't think they are very efficient.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 11:52:40 am »
Romantica is also ideal for a large tent or yurt

Liked this idea - might need a camel or two to carry it though  ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 12:00:02 pm »
I just get the Mrs to carry it when we are out 'Yurting'

95kgs is nothing to her!

:-)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 01:55:46 pm »
I'd only ever buy an Aga. It's the best looking range style cooker by far. Most of the 'wannabe Agas' are horrid. The one in the pic above is ugly.

Ok, so maybe it is a snobbery thing  :-[ ,  they are expensive to run and the older models take ages to heat up, but I LOVE them.  :love:    They really throw out the heat so it's not on in the summer, hence the need to have another 'standard' cooker.

If you need to heat water and run radiators, go for a Rayburn. Although the ovens are bigger, they are smaller on the exterior too. It's the only second choice in my book.

PS: Forgot to say look at 'that' popular online auction site, I thought the prices seemed quite low now as they are out of fashion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:58:47 pm by OhLaLa »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS