Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: range cooker wanted  (Read 9554 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
range cooker wanted
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:22:35 pm »
Does anyone know of a supplier for affordable small multi (solid) fuel range cookers with back boiler - Central Scotland (Fife)? ? I want it to replace the open fire but want to be able to cook/bake with it if it's running anyway. Don't seem to be lucky on line...Some prices are a bit astronomical, too,.. :o :&>

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: range cooker wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:31:28 pm »
http://www.countrystyle-cookers.com/price_list.php

good old rayburns .....fully reconditioned ones from about £2,500 on this site  :o :o :o.... will grab the next one I see on freecycle , do it up and flog it  !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

cheers

Russ

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »
I had a re conditioned aga some years ago, loved it as it ran the heating in the bathroom but  unless you have a small cottage where you can utilise the water or heat, they can be expensive as they cannot be turned up instantly!! Iused to put stale loafs in for the rabbits and forget them for days as they have a good seal so no smells!!!!! Would love one again but my life has changes so need practicle!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:40:39 pm »
We always had a rayburn in our house which heated the kitchen (no radiator in there) and also heated the water. I do like solid fuel rayburn, but they are a bit messy when it comes to cleaning out. No more so than an open fire I suppose. Great for baking, but as Sandy says the seal is good- it is possible to pop something in and forget it!

The rail on the front is great for perching on in the winter, all members of our family used to fight over it!

Beth

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:58:48 pm »
I used to iron stuff on the tops and we had a sheila made rail above to dry stuff to a crisp!!! I often forgot the chicken cooking in it!!!

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:02:15 pm »
Hang on!!! we are building a little annex, the trouble is the building is one level and there is someone living next door at a higher level!! I wondered if there would be any way to put a solid fuel type cooker in our annex in the future as we can certainly get logs easily!!!

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:14:14 pm »
Does anyone know of a supplier for affordable small multi (solid) fuel range cookers with back boiler - Central Scotland (Fife)? ? I want it to replace the open fire but want to be able to cook/bake with it if it's running anyway. Don't seem to be lucky on line...Some prices are a bit astronomical, too,.. :o :&>

How's Freecycle in your area? I'd stick an advert in the wanted section and see if anything comes of it.  :)

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:15:57 pm »
I noticed someone here has posted wanted a log burner for ages, now they have one so try try try!!

waterhouse

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:28:25 pm »
Our posh friends with Aga's all seem to have a conventional hob and oven which they actually use for the cooking alongside the Aga which they use for interior design

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:30:46 pm »
When we moved to Clackmannan (def NOT posh) we had a gas range type cooker and I wanted a solid fry pan so I went to the aga shop in Glasgow to see what they had..what snobs they were, the very tiny cheapo pan was over £50 so I bought a good old one from Lidi!!!!  I like serviceable NOT posh!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 10:48:38 pm »
Our posh friends with Aga's all seem to have a conventional hob and oven which they actually use for the cooking alongside the Aga which they use for interior design
Yes, when i built my house I was adviser to do that but I thought it was a waste and would cost an extra £5000 for very little benefit, so I opted for a high tech digital thing instead.  New owners love it.  Not all they're cracked up to be IMHO
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 11:19:29 pm »
Agas are expensive but nice!!!! as I said, sould be great in a little cottage but not here!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:01:47 am »
I have had one (in the cottage we renovated) but I found it far too inflexible.  Heat when you didn't need it - had to leave it off in the summer altogether.  So had to use a camping stove to cook on.  That's why I changed.  But they do look lovely, just not practical, and far too expensive for what they do. JMVHO
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:38:17 am »
NFD - check ebay !
My Dad (ebay king  ::)) got an Essey range - that's probably not how you spell it ! with a back boiler for under £100, okay so it wasn't brand new - but it works. And don't be put off if they look a bit scabby a shot blast and re-coat isn't that expensive (especially if you talk really nice to my OH  ;))
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=solid+fuel+cooker&_sacat=0&_odkw=solid+fuel+boiler&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
HTH
Karen x

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »
We put a new Wamsler into our place - and it was expensive - especially with a heat store but its done excellent service over the cold spell and it'll pay for itself over about 6-8 years given we'll not pay for most of our wood vs putting in an oil-fired boiler which was the only real alternative.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS