Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: isle of lewis croft  (Read 14794 times)

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
isle of lewis croft
« on: May 28, 2023, 02:35:25 pm »
ive just put an offer in on a smaller croft (4 acres). im waiting the painful wait to find out of the owner will accept my offer.

im moving with 12 sheep, chickens, geese, turkys, ducks and a few goats (if i dont murder them beforehand).

im sending our breeding pigs to the processor because its soooo expensive to move them. does anyone know if i can buy new piggy stock on the island please?

ive been using good old google to get no where. im now nervous sending our mangalitsa guilt and old spot guilt off if we cant replace them.

im also concerned about hay and straw. i have fresian sheep who are as gentle and soft as they come. they wont step foot outside unless the weather is perfect. im expecting them to be in a lot (through their own choice haha). they eat crazy amounts of hay even for sheep. they have to have a crzy high protein feed to just keep weight on them (and thats just!)
its the silly logostics of life that im worrying about. ive lived on shetland (without my livestock) and know how tricky some things were. but my love of living there out weighs it all.

sorry so many questions. im just a worrier thats over thinking everything and probably making it seem 1000 times worse than it is

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: isle of lewis croft
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 07:56:23 pm »
Wikipedia says crofting is still practiced, but in decline. People keep sheep, cattle and pigs. On that basis you should be able to buy stock, but probably won't get much choice with breeds.

Weather is surprisingly mild due to the gulf stream, but still quite cool. Just the wind is very strong, so not suitable for your birds- they will need to be inside permanently I think, or very well sheltered.

Good luck.

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 09:35:23 pm »

I think you will find it very different from where you are at the moment Hastings Sussex

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 07:37:01 am »
Wikipedia says crofting is still practiced, but in decline. People keep sheep, cattle and pigs. On that basis you should be able to buy stock, but probably won't get much choice with breeds.

Weather is surprisingly mild due to the gulf stream, but still quite cool. Just the wind is very strong, so not suitable for your birds- they will need to be inside permanently I think, or very well sheltered.

Good luck.

that was my thought that id be able too but not have the breed choice. it might be better to bring the mangalitsa with us. shes a lovely soul.
thank you

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 07:39:03 am »

I think you will find it very different from where you are at the moment Hastings Sussex

thats the point. its very different.
ive lived on the islands before and loe it. we only came back to england because of my mothers health. ive been counting the days until i could start planning the move back. we didnt have the livestock when we lived there. so its very very new

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS