Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I get things checked out?  (Read 6103 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Should I get things checked out?
« on: December 25, 2010, 09:53:44 pm »
Hi I'm a bit worried about my kim. She's due to farrow in 11 days so yesterday we brought her and Boris in the barn in their pens. The plan was to bring aggie in as well as she is due 2 days later but she would not come out the pen despite every temptation we could put in front of her she wouldn't budge so we will try again tomorrow hopefully she wil be more inclined as she's been on her own for 2 days now, anyway Kim has seemed a little less keen on her feed for a few days now and seems a bit depressed today.
Is this likely to be because she's quite close? Would she be missing being outside and close to aggie and boris? She's eating around 2 of the 3 lbs of feed she gets morning and night. As they're all fed together usually I guess this could be how much she eats I just didnt know it before but something is nagging me that she's not herself.  Am I just a paranoid newbie breeder do you think ? Should I get her checked over? Any advice or things I should be looking for?
I'm also praying aggie is less stubborn tomorrow as it worries me she's on her own in the cold too.. Any tips for tempting stubborn girls would also be appreciated.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Should I get things checked out?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 09:56:45 pm »
i cant help with any of your questions but i hope everything is ok and i hope the farrowing goes ok  :hshoe:  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 10:07:16 pm »
We find lots of different pre-farrowing "moods" in our sows. Going a bit off their food does occasionally happen, but providing she's still eating 2lb, would not worry too much. 

First rule of any pig not eating is check their water - the "dry" feed needs lots of water - probably not relevant in your case as she's eating some, but would be worth checking that she has enough water and has found it in her new environment.

If she is just on sow pellets - would be worth supplementing with something to see if she's just in a  funny mood - try some apples , quite often they'll eat fruit when they are not in the mood for dry food.

But unless she really goes off food, would not really worry. 

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 10:09:24 pm »
I'm also praying aggie is less stubborn tomorrow as it worries me she's on her own in the cold too.. Any tips for tempting stubborn girls would also be appreciated.
If I had any idea how to deal with stubborn women, I'd be the most famous man on the planet!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 10:16:17 pm »
I have found that some of my pigs go off their feed a few days before they farrow. This is because there is less room in her tummy as the piglets are getting bigger in the last 2 weeks of giving birth. When she farrows her apatite will return and depending on the numbers of piglets she is suckling she will have an apatite that would choke a horse. As for your other stubborn sow please consider not feeding her in the morning and leave her to get quite hungry and she should come into the barn letting her starve for a few hours which should make it easier for you to get her in (this worked for me). If the ground is well frozen I know that my pigs don't like walking on it. In this cold weather try to insulate the pen your pig will be in

Oaklandpigs, If I knew how to deal with stubborn men I would have a wee fortune made (3 men in my house)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 10:19:02 pm by lillian waddell »

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 10:17:46 pm »
Thanks oaklands really appreciate that. She loves bananas will try her with a few tomorrow to gauge her keeness. In terms of water she has loads and she knows where it is and seems to be drinking ok. She just seems 'off' but like you say could just be because shes farrowing. I'll keep an eye on her the next few days tho. She seems chatty enough 'talking' to me and loving a good scratch but very inactive for her as well as off feed. Just a worry really.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 10:22:49 pm »
Thanks Lillian I left her all day yesterday without feed trying to coax her out but to no avail even tried bananas but nope not having it. In the end I had to give in as it was getting dark and I had to feed her as she needed it with this cold. Tomorrow we have a few more helpers so fingers crossed. I think part of the problem is the frozen ground and it's very rutted where they've rooted, so hard to walk on.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 01:39:42 pm »
Oaklandpigs, If I knew how to deal with stubborn men I would have a wee fortune made (3 men in my house)

Men - stubborn???  Surely you have mis-typed there???  Have a great xmas ! :D
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 01:44:34 pm »
it is a great burden that i carry always being right posted by lillians O/H

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 05:14:31 pm »
Well aggie decided to move today the key was putting straw all over the ramp of the trailer and makin sure she was good and hungry only took 45 mins and just 5 after recovered the ramp in straw, wish I'd thought of it sooner! Kimmie is happier now her sister is near by but still eating slowly. She ate all of her feedbit over the course of a few hours and same with tea. She is much much bigger than aggie so I suspect she is going to have a large litter possibly why shes slow to eat then no room I think. Anyway all inside now and hopefully it's going to warm up the next few days so hopefully will be above freezing when they farrow.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 05:57:46 pm »
no experience with pigs can only go with horses but they can only take small amounts when they are getting near to foaling, the babies take up all the room, so guess its the same with all expectant mums, good luck :hshoe:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »
It's the same with dogs.  As a bitch nears her time I start to spread her meals over the day - sometimes as many as 7 or 8 smaller meals rather than the 2 or three previously
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 06:27:54 pm »
I think that's what I need to do Annie. I'm off now til 10th jan deliberately so I could be home and concentrate on them while they farrow I'll have to feed her 3 or 4 times a day.
Anyone tell me do they usually come on time or does it vary? I'm very sure of kimmies covering date so she is definitely due 5th jan are they like humans tho and come anything upto 2 weeks late?

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »
on the date    day before      or day after        you will see them trying to kick start the motor bike before they start

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 07:09:47 pm »
Kick start the motor bike?not sure I follow ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS