Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Moon  (Read 4205 times)

Galician Smallholder

• Joined Dec 2010
The Moon
« on: December 30, 2010, 05:36:44 pm »
Hi

Having been in Galicia now for nearly a year at at the final stages of getting my free range pig farm up and running I was wondering if anyone could help with a "debate" I am having with the locals. Here everything runs in accordance with the moon cycle (planting of crops, pruning vines etc) and I am told that even if my Sow's are due if the moon is not right then she will not give birth. Can anyone help with this. Personally i find it a little hard to believe but am open minded and if its true then I will be down the shops tomorrow to get my moon calender. Many thanks

HappyHippy

Re: The Moon
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:05:32 pm »
I think it's a case of an old wives tale that's become local law  ;) ;D BUT......
The gestation of a pig is 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days (or 112-116 days) 112 days does work out exactly as 4 lunar cycles (or 4, 28 day periods)
Maybe it is the case, but I think it's highly unlikely that your sows will wait for the 'right' moon phase, they'll just have 'em when they're good and ready  ;)
You'll have to let us know what happens and how the moon was when farrowing starts  ;)
Karen

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »
"moon is not right"? What is it s'posed to be?? Full, new?  Please let us know !!

As HH says pigs are pretty accurate - so if the mate date was seen, the farrowing date will be within a couple of days of expected, regardless of the moon.

My view would be to humour them (don't fall out with the locals), and just keep quiet when you farrowing is not "right" by the moon

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

bsadevon

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Plymouth Hooe
    • http://www.pro-skipper.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:13:28 pm »
Bio moon stuff - fact or fiction?!

Well as a commercial yacht skipper with 20 years experience - my life was governed by the tidal movement (Sun/Moon).

As plants and animals have a high % of water maybe there is a connection??

Anyway gets you thinking....
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:44:09 am by bsadevon »

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 07:19:53 pm »
aye turnips are over 90%water but they don't half make your eyes water
and on turnips they start to develop after the longest day
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:13:23 pm by lillian waddell »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:43:20 am »
The Bretons are very keen on planting with the moon cycle.  Hilary et al definitely dont do moon!!!!  Moan, well yes thats a different story.

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 01:54:22 pm »
i think the moon and sun have greater influence on everything than we realise sometimes. my friend works at a prison and said the inmates are always worse during full moon. at a guess i would think that maybe the moon would affect the timing of the pig coming into season, which would then affect the time the piglets were born.  my two sows were 1 day apart at their last season, this time they were 5 days apart. which contradicts everything i just said!!. keep an open mind.  ;D ;D :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 08:17:44 pm »
I can second that. Ask any cop and they'll tell you that a weekend with a full moon is bedlam.

or teacher, or care worker!
and heaven forbid if its windy as well ....
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 08:51:48 pm »
I can second that. Ask any cop and they'll tell you that a weekend with a full moon is bedlam.

or teacher, or care worker!
and heaven forbid if its windy as well ....
Yup, all our dementia sufferers seemed to be more active/upset when there was a full moon too  :-\

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 08:58:35 pm »
in conclousion if you are normal the moon has no effect on you        but if you are abnormal then the moon has a pull on you
but what is normal or abnormal

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »
Normal seems to be whatever you can get away with...........

Sorry, just discovered that we have a thief on staff at the shop and am quite down about it.

Happy New Year everyone  :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 07:20:27 am »
The reason why moon cycles are still 'harped' on about is because more often than not the 'rules' actually apply.

Animals, like us, will always feel safer in the light.

Baz

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 03:03:29 pm »
sorry to hear that Mr Knightquest... or can I call you Ian?!
what do you have to do?  are you  a staff member less ?
Little Blue

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 05:06:54 pm »
sorry to hear that Mr Knightquest... or can I call you Ian?!
what do you have to do?  are you  a staff member less ?

Thank you and please call me Ian.

No, we've only discovered the loss at the minute. It must have been one of the staff but we don't know who. A stern letter will be sent to all staff and a new safe installed.
Such a shame, I thought we had all nice peeps working for us  :(

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 09:17:46 am »
i think the best of us are all mad in their own little way   lol   :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS