Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The shortest day, winter solstice december 21st  (Read 16204 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: The shortest day, winter solstice december 21st
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 07:32:40 pm »
my view Ian is , we are all lucky to be who we are . Some academics , can live in a mental or intellectual , what we could now call 'virtual ' world . Pragmatists would be the opposite (sounds like you Ian !! ) . Then there are a raft of differing views and outlooks in between and outside those .
 We need all types , as one depends on the other to survive if we want to live in a society (MMMmm do we all want to ? ).
 Judging by what you have said over the time you have been on here , you don't need to be anything other than what/who you are , maybe you are lucky to be simplistic ? ( anything 'but' stoopid mate)....

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »
Then there is 'deja vu' - is that going to happen, did that happen just now, or have I experienced it in the past?

And what about ghosts.  Why did my TV suddenly switch itself on this afternoon when I was through at the other end of the house. And why did it do the same last week but also turn the volume up to maximum?

And why did my front security light go on three times last night while I was sitting in there watching said TV?  Each time I rushed to the door thinking it was the cat wanting in, and the third time I realised he was sitting sleeping on the chair in the hall.  A coincidence of what with what? ::) ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »
I'm with you Ian. I was lost after the first rant! still we need nerds don't we?

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 08:29:19 pm »
Poltergeist's Annie ... they are in your TV !!!! OMG !!!!  :o :o ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
 There goes the human mind again . looking for an answer !
 One person may say that it IS a poltergeist , yet another may say it's just a faulty TV !!
  I would say it is just a faulty TV ....but if I were you, I would get it exorcised just in case ... mind you , you may get some funny looks from people as you take your TV for a walk on the lead everyday  !!!

cheers

Russ

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 09:40:02 pm »
....... I've had nine beers, ........... hic............ and I love everybody............... see you,................ all of you................. you are my best ishtpalls.
Cum,,,,,,mmun, hic, ave a dringk wiv me.  Your all great, ............ like, hic, ......... li ttle shiny lights, ............. huic, wiv help and everyhting. Nish people. And life,....... it's like confetti, inna inna hat, and tears in rain...... and waiving your pants.....and ............ falling over. Coz were like insects,.... on the tail of a turtle,,,,,, and maybe we could get eaten by a dog.....and it its just scale....... or quantum,,,,,,,,, youknowwaddimean'?

Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:40 pm »
Pure dead brilliant! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 10:47:20 pm »
This is one of my favourite threads ever!

Nerds and Numpties, one and all  :) :D :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 11:23:50 pm »
Went out early to see the eclipse, it was quite an event. Who missed it, you can look at it on our blog  ;)
http://north-fife.blogspot.com/
I'd love to celebrate Solstice but always end up in a mad rush to get organised for what everyone else does...when the kids have moved out maybe ;)
I certainly feel the significance of Solstice since I have animals - MAY THERE BE LIGHT!!! :&> :&> :wave: :wave:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 11:46:13 pm »
yes ..I absolutely hate and detest the shortness of the days at this time of year , and even in this cold and snowy weather we are having , I feel a weight has been lifted , knowing that the days will soon be getting longer and that spring is on it's way , albeit a long way off at the moment .
 I can understand why this day was celebrated so much in pagan times , and find much more sense and understanding of their thoughts than I do of any modern religion/belief/way of life  . Maybe it is to do with the looking after of animals and crops , the natural cycle ...which Pagans were obviously closely in tune with .

cheers

Russ

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 07:11:44 pm »
i look forward to the 21st dec more than christmas, were on the right side now, its such a good feeling  :wave:

bamford6

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 04:06:17 pm »
the start off winter in pagan times was the 31 st off october candle mass meaning lighter

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 04:50:03 pm »
Eternity is how long it takes to learn everything so I just take each day as it comes, have my own believes and I am very thankful for what I have. Thats before I start on the wine  :wave:

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »
Eternity is how long it takes to learn everything so I just take each day as it comes, have my own believes and I am very thankful for what I have. Thats before I start on the wine  :wave:

Nice  :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2010, 04:58:26 pm »
I have this  "belief" that the blackbirds herald the start of the new year on the first day after solstice. It could be just my reticular activated system of course and it may be that the birds sing a chourus in the days before but that I dont notice as I am not looking for it. It could also be that if you sat on a twig all night in freezing conditions counting the hours from dusk till dawn that you would notice the slightest increase in daylight and sing with joy at the sight of it. ;)

Either way I think animals, like people learn by association and recognise signs and patterns, be they pattens of behavior or the rhythm of the seasons.

I watched the eclipse and used the occasion to remind myself of what is important to me. Its easy for me to get so tired and bogged down by a full time job, a two hour commute, reccession, restructures and rising cost of living. Especially in the cold and gloomy depths of winter when I leave home in the dark and return in the dark. The shadow of the moon across the sun reminded me that sometimes all the good things in my life get obscured by all the rubbish in the world and I loose sight of them. It also made me ackowledge that as mighty as the sun may be it canot destroy the moon, mearly cast a shadow over it. That evening when the moon rose again, tinted orange by the remains of the setting sun in the evening sky it looked as big and radient as any sun and reminded me again that the joy in my life is always there, I just have to take a little time to look for it.

Buffy

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 05:02:36 pm »
I hope that my birds will recognize it soon by starting to lay again  ;D ;D :&> :chook: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS