Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The shortest day, winter solstice december 21st  (Read 16201 times)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: The shortest day, winter solstice december 21st
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 12:51:58 am »
I'm not sure if it's a good sign, an omen, or what it's a sign of? 

I think it's a sign called coincidence.......................sorry, I'm very matter of fact  :)

ian

Ahhh yes but what if all coincidences are spiritual puns?

Please define a spiritual pun. It's late and I'm a simple man.

ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 12:10:04 pm »
You lot make me laugh!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 12:20:44 pm »
That's what we're all here for - can't think of another reason for being born into this daft world!  ;D

Oh and I missed the eclipse thingy!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:30:26 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 12:31:02 pm »
if we weren't George raft we would not be throwing money at animals and trying to justify it

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 02:09:59 pm »
Can't justify it, still doing it   :dunce:  ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 04:27:39 pm »
I'm not sure if it's a good sign, an omen, or what it's a sign of? 

I think it's a sign called coincidence.......................sorry, I'm very matter of fact :)

Ian

Ahhh yes but what if all coincidences are spiritual puns?

Please define a spiritual pun. It's late and I'm a simple man.

Okay Ian, have you got a beer in your hand because you will understand this better after five pints.

Phew!!!, erm, right, firstly its a quote from G.K Chesterton.

To me it describes the nature of synchronicity which often just seems to be the synergistic punning or the nature of words or events unexpectedly twinning with perceived mystical overtones. This connectivity causes a shift in your metacognition that shapes your perceptions and expectations from otherwise unrelated events providing you with a unique translation of the aforesaid unrelated events and shaping your perceptions of them. This feeling often results in a sense of enlightenment.

Hope that helps.... I'll go and get back in my box now.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:30:10 pm by Bright Raven »
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 05:26:11 pm »
and coincidently G K Chesterton was pissed out of his head when he came to that conclusion ... it's the only time that the synergism of synchronistic events would make any sense in your metacognition , once your perceptions and expectations of unrelated events, have allowed you to perceive a sense of enlightenment , due to the connectivity of those unrelated events,  and to the fact that one can only come to that conclusion if one is totally pissed out of ones head !!!
 Simples .....

cheers

Russ

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 06:10:13 pm »
Yes BUT our solstices, full moons and eclipses of sun and moon are all to do with the physical rules of how the solar system works.  The rotations, orbits etc of the various planets, moons, sun etc interconnect, so all three things happening on the same day today is not random or just a coincidence, but is defined by the laws of science. I don't see any spiritual meaning in it, but it's a great example of how huge time is, especially compared to our tiny lifespans. We are here for such a short time that the last time this happened was many of our lifetimes ago, but is just a tiny flash in universal time.
This time of year is great for standing outside on a clear night and looking up at the stars - then come in and try not to think about it or you feel dizzy and very very small  :o

My OH saw the first half of the eclipse but a big cloud came past just before full darkness - typical !!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 06:26:20 pm »
Bright Raven and Russ.....................You guys are sooooo much more intelligent than me. So much so that I am sometimes scared. However, not long after being scared, something distracts me and I forget all about it  :D :D :D
It is so much easier being thick lol

Juliet, you are right. WHATEVER happens, it is just a moment in time. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sometimes you just need to stop and smell the roses.

ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 06:29:22 pm »
yes ... you are right Fleecewife.. but basically that is what GK Chesterton was saying (in a clever arse way , well ok, he was extremely clever  ). That we as humans , connect unrelated events, that maybe we can't explain ,  to a spiritual nature , sort of " I have seen the light " type of thing  (or in your OH's case ..."I didn't see the dark !!" ). When in reality , there is no connection, apart from what we perceive there to be . Or , to have knowledge of what you 'know' , knowledge of knowledge. Or, it explains what we don't understand , so that we then know about what we know . That "oh I get it " moment , or that moment when the penny drops .... although in this case it is a perceived understanding of connectivity with matters spiritual , in fact it is what we call a mid life crisis in men ....

cheers

Russ

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 06:46:31 pm »
Just hold on to this one while you sink that sixth beer.

"The manifestation of the universe as a complex idea unto itself as opposed to being in or outside the true Being of itself is inherently a conceptual nothingness or Nothingness in relation to any abstract form of existing or to exist or having existed in perpetuity and not subject to laws of physicality or motion or ideas relating to non-matter or the lack of objective Being or subjective otherness."

Happy Winter Solstice Everyone!

:wave:

Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 06:50:38 pm »
thick as two short planks me mate .....

moments happen all the time , such as a beautiful red sky at dusk , a fantastic clear blue sky in summer , or as now a stunning scene of snow covered land . They should be held in your mind and treasured , as only you , could have seen that scene at that moment , and all those thousands of moments from a lifetime, will be lost, in time , like tears in rain , and that is why we as humans make the spiritual link .
The lost in time bit is from Blade Runner , but it spooked me somewhat when I first saw the film and heard that fantastic dying speech , as I had used the 'these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain' at school  , in a story with a very similar ending to BR ...now is that just a coincidence ?

cheers

Russ

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 06:53:00 pm »
Just hold on to this one while you sink that sixth beer.

"The manifestation of the universe as a complex idea unto itself as opposed to being in or outside the true Being of itself is inherently a conceptual nothingness or Nothingness in relation to any abstract form of existing or to exist or having existed in perpetuity and not subject to laws of physicality or motion or ideas relating to non-matter or the lack of objective Being or subjective otherness."

Happy Winter Solstice Everyone!

:wave:

I swear that I understood three maybe four words in that passage.  :D :D

Happy Winter Solstice to you too Bright Raven.

Ian

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 07:02:41 pm »
yep ... exactly .. is everything an illusion ? do we even exist ? are we just a particle of dust in a carpet ? are humans a virus on a cell ? ...once again you can relate that to spiritual connectivity of the human mind , in blokes again it is that ..."what am I doing" moment " what is the meaning of all this ?"  what we don't understand we can perceive as spiritual or Godly or even Ungodly happenings or moments in time ... does me ed in ....

cheers

Russ

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 07:12:32 pm »
Am I lucky to 'live in the moment' ? I have things/jobs that I want to do and I get them done but if I don't, then I don't...... I like to see how things work but don't stress too much if I can't work it out.

Those close to me tell me that I should think more about the future (and remember more about the past). To be honest, I can't be arsed.

Am I lucky or too simplistic (stoopid)? Feel free to venture any thoughts....I'm almost impossible to offend  ;)

ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS