Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: log splitter  (Read 19760 times)

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
log splitter
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:24:20 pm »
ok heres one for the boys!, currently looking at mechanical log splitters,3 types as i see it, electric motor that drives a hydraulic ram with wedge on end.  same again but tractor mounted driven off tractor hydraulics and a screw point that is tractor mounted driven off pto. is anyone using one of these and if so what type have you found best? Ive found a source of firewood that is being deliverd in large tree trunks and chunks of all sorts seasoned and green far to much to split by hand so come on lads and lassies lets have some feedback..........................neil

rustyme

Re: log splitter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:34:44 pm »
if you have a welder ? you could fabricate a strong v bracket that bolts onto a barn metal upright (therfore adjustable) and then use either a bottle jack or trolley jack to push the log onto the v to split it.  If you don't have a barn with a metal upright ... ::)you could just use a length of scrap rsj/girder etc ....much cheaper than buying a log splitter . Just a thought ....!!!!

cheers

Russ 

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:46:37 pm »
thanks for that rusty, good idea on a small scale, meethinks that once the rayburn is plumbed in that will be 2 dragons that eat wood .think I will need a faster system than the jack route. have taken the plunge and gone for a electric motor driven ram machine off ebay, let you know what its like when ive had a play!

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:10:46 pm »
no probs Neil,
                 hope it works ok ......We all have different ways that we look at doing the same thing . My way is always based on ,first doing it by hand , then doing it with  water power or even wind power, and somethings , like the log splitter , hydraulics....My setup is very much a do it by hand one. However I realize that not everyone thinks like I do ... ::) ;D I usually come from a different place than most people ( yes I know I belong in a different place ... one with nice soft walls..) but it would be a pretty boring place if we were all the same...I used to put really hard logs that wouldn't split with the axe, under the hitch on the landrover and then the trolley jack under the log with a wedge shaped lump of steel on it...pump up the jack and even the hardest logs would yield....mind you I did lift the LR up in the air once or twice !!! :o ;D  It will be interesting to know how fast the electric driven one goes , as ones I have seen working so far were quite slow, but they were well used and hard to tell how old they were !!! Good luck with it anyway mate .....oh and I had an old rayburn years ago and it really was a monster for eating wood. Lovely heat and boiling water ...but boy did the wood pile shift fast.....Roll on spring eh !!! lol...

cheers
Russ

woodsman

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 05:00:45 pm »
i use the screw thread type - direct off pto . much prefer it to hydraulic types .
you do need to take alot of care . once you've mastered the technique ,it's a fast tool ,and will get through those knotty bits that just laugh at the hydraulic types . you really do need to have someone show you the technique , and have a safety attitude .
i do see some quite small screw thread type splitters around , and maybe i'm just used to the large one , but they seem a bit lightweight .
(ok - i can struggle with elm ,but drill some nice conical holes in the process !)
If it's too steep to plough , put sheep on it , if the sheep fall off , plant trees .

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:32:14 pm »
i would suggest hydraulic  and if you weld make one yourself 

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »
i bought an electric log-splitter from Axminster
 http://www.axminster.co.uk/find.asp?pricing=INC&cid=9YQZGMB7VZ18Y2LYFBKQSY49AYDFQKKT

i see it's a bit more expensive now but you may be able to find it cheaper. Obviously you need to be near a power source. A petrol splitter can be as much hassle. My back is the main beneficiary from not having to use the axe. i was a danger anyhow. Anyhow, the main thing about it is it's safer than any home made jobs. As mentioned above safety is the main thing eh http://www.smallholder.co.uk/news/smallholdernews/4008944.Campaign_to_prevent_farm_deaths/

Anyhow, i'm quite happy with the splitter. To speed things up we usually have one person splitting logs and another collecting unsplit and split stuff/ stacking.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 09:14:42 pm »
LOG SPLITTER has arrived and have found it an excellent machine, make is logmaster with stated 7 ton splitting ram on it. Ive modified the hydraulic levers because the existing layout was a pain in the arse to use so now its 1 lever and works a treat. paid £180.0 plus 40 carriage............neil

TonytheWood

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 08:40:44 am »
i would suggest hydraulic  and if you weld make one yourself 

Hello LogSplitters   

I have access to various trees, large branches, fallen logs, and pallet wood, etc. on a regular, legal, and frequent basis, along with ample [urban] storage space, my own chain saw, "medium/heavy" drop-back trailer - transporter, etc.

ADVICE PLEASE:

1) Type/make/etc of multi-fuel single room stove, approx 5 KW, and/or
back boiler - supplementary Central heating and room feature stove?

2) DIY Log Splitter plans/design source?
I have/have access to, welding/boring/cutting equipment.
Ditto steel mini RSJs
13 Amp, 250V supply only

3) Plans/design for- DIY Green wood maturing facility?

4) Plans/design for -Ready-to-burn wood storage facility

Any help very gratefully rec'd.

Tony t'amateur

AAA.Happy.Man@googlemail.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS