Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TRACTOR RECOMENDATION  (Read 24999 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
TRACTOR RECOMENDATION
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:08:46 pm »
Hi,
    Has anyone out there got any first hand experience with Siromer Tractors as I am thinkg of purchasing one but cant find many owners reviews?
    Failing that anyone got any other recomendations for an all round workhorse to be used on 17 acres of fairly level pasture/woodland?
                                                            Cheers    Fishy

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: TRACTOR RECOMENDATION
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:42:55 pm »
Fishy,
 We bought a Massey Ferguson 35, several years ago (1962 model) never let us down and is worth more now than when we bought it ! A similar model ( a bit younger) would be a 135. Set aside £2000 - £3000 for a half decent one and you shouldn't go wrong.

Cheers

Gavin

Ross

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 01:28:00 am »
 I have a land legendhttp://www.landlegend.co.uk/imp.html which i am very happy with, but I need a 4wd tractor. All the chinky tractors are the same, made by DongFeng.
For a flat farm I would say Gavin is right-if you can find a good, reliable fergie, then it really is the best thing.
There is no problem in the world that cannot be fixed by the judicious application of the appropriate hammer.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:54:09 am »
Cheers guys much appreciated, the search is on!

Are there plenty of second hand implements around for the older tractors nowadays?

Fishy

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 04:56:30 pm »
Hello,

The 35's & 135's use the three point linkage system that is still in use today so there should be no bother getting gadgets for it. There is a company called TAFE that makes new versions of the 35 & 135 http://www.tractorsuk.co.uk/tractors.htm .

Cheers

Gavin

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:06:16 pm »
Hi Fishy

One of our neighbours has a Siromer 4WD tractor and says that he would not recommend them.  When I went round to borrow his rotovator the other day he said he would far rather have our 1956 Ferguson TEF!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:57:36 pm »
Old it is then!!

Many thanks                Fishy

littlekatewell

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Scottish Highlands
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 02:25:18 pm »
Have you had a look at the JD 55 series....755, 855, 955.  They are incredible powerfull for thier compact size and very reliable.  Full Cat 1 linkage at rear so can take all the standard things you would want.  They are quite pricey but they also hold value very well so once purchased you will not lose out if you choose to sell it again.

Rollicker

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »
Hi, I looked at Siromer tractors last year, in fact a friend has one. He did the self assembly thing. I ended up buying a Jinma 25 hp - fantastic bit of kit for little money. I've had it a year now and it's paid for itself already. Had mine del'd with front bucket fitted.

I bought it in the UK but had it del'd here (Brittany). The company I bought it from couldn't have been more helpful.

E-mail me if you want their website details.

Cheers

Graham

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 11:10:06 pm »
hi guys, weve got a 1958 fe 35 4cyc diesel plus a john deere 955 . fergys last forever if looked after would highly recommend for smallholder tractor, ours has never let us down.

teggy

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 05:13:27 pm »
hi just thought id add my pennys worth .... i was looking to buy one of these cheap new tractors but a farmer friend talked me out of it .. he took me up to devon to a farm sale and i came back with a 1966 david brown with front loader .. it cost 1750.00 with auction fee  and its a great work horse . .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS