Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs not eating hay  (Read 4068 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Lambs not eating hay
« on: November 30, 2010, 05:12:49 pm »
I have brought my ewe lambs onto the 'home' paddock whilst tupping is taking place.  There is very little grass, not that they can get to any with the snow and ice, but they are not interested in the hay.  I have tempted them with bundles of fine meadow hay (believe me, its good stuff) but no response.  I'm getting a bit worried they're getting enough to eat.  They have ewe nuts  every day and have a lick in the field with them, but they would rather dig around in the wood for bits of dead nettles and stuff rather touch the hay.  I am wondering whether its because they don't know what it is and perhaps they'll come round to it once they can go back in with the older ewes and see them eating it.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Lambs not eating hay
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:18:16 pm »
MIne werent interested in their Meadow Hay, until they realised they needed a pickaxe to get through the snow and ice, they are eating it now.  Maybe they are eating nettles etc because there is still something to eat?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »
stick a ewe in with them for a few days she will teach them.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:46:13 pm »
they all up on there  vits& mins?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:04:40 pm »
I would think they are pretty well nourished - they have always had a lick available as well as ewe nuts - its forage really I'm concerned about.  Sheep cannot live by nuts alone!!  Even if they'd like to, which many would, I'm sure!

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:37:06 pm »
my ewes and lambs were not keen on hay on the ground, yet would happily munch the hay if it was hung in a hay net!! 
Maybe they were not impressed with the hay on the ground pretending to be grass, but the hay in the net was deigned to be a different feed...LOL
emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:50:16 pm »
My girls born this year won't eat the hay either.

Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:18:11 pm »
try straw, when ours walked away from the hay thats what we gave ours, they soon got stuck in.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 05:09:56 pm »
I've never fed my sheep straw before. Didn't know they'd eat it!  Luckily they are picking at it now.  The snow has been on the ground for long enough for the to realise that's the only 'green stuff' on offer right now.  Can't say they are wolfing it down though, but they don't seem to be losing condition so must be getting enough.  Judging by the replies to this post, I'm not the only one with this problem :D.  Hope everyone else's sheep are getting the message too.  In future I'll get in some straw as well as hay come autumn.   :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS