Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The sheep won't touch ANY of their grub  (Read 8878 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: The sheep won't touch ANY of their grub
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 07:23:12 pm »
Hi!  Might be a bit late with this, but did you see my post a bit further down about my ewe lambs refusing to eat their hay?  Its now been a week since the snow has been on the ground and they have, at last, started to eat it, but it took some persuasion.  I kept putting it in different places and turning it to get the scent to them, anything I could think of to tempt them, but we got there in the end.  However mine have been eating ewe nuts like their life depended on it.  I tried porridge earlier in the week as I was mixing it up for the chickens.  They turned their noses up at that - heaven knows why, I thought I was giving them a real treat!!  Basically, they are young, don't know what to make of all this 'foreign' stuff we are giving them, and need time to get used to winter feeding when there's no grass available.   Hows it going with  yours now?  :wave:

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 10:45:38 pm »
My ewe lambs will eat a bit of hay but they're not really keen. The ewes  on the other hand, are wolfing it down. I wish they'd hold back a bit!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 03:36:53 pm »
They refuse to eat hay. Refuse to eat kale (they gave it a try , I think they would have eaten it if still in ground to pull on, but they found it unpalatable as a 'leaf').

This morning their galvanised trough had defrosted enough to tip the huge ice block out of it which was filling it so I put their hard feed in there (as had done prior to the snow arriving) and bingo - eating it just fine. It appears they didn't approve of the feed buckets.

Grass appearing again now, so panic over.........

:sheep:  ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 03:39:19 pm »
I had no idea sheep were so fickle!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 09:13:54 pm »
Sheep are definitely fussier than children!  Mine pick the best bits of hay and will only eat nuts etc if the buckets/trough are scrupulously clean.  I forgot to turn over yesterday and one had a bit of bird poo in it and they flatly refused to eat anything out of it!

It was easier when I had the horse as they were too worried about her eating their grub and would scoff everything including her dengie if allowed!

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 09:24:02 pm »
They aren't all fussy. Mine will eat anything. At the moment they are eating a lot of straw while they can't get to the grass. They also browse on bushes & eat any sort of hay evem if it looks a bit dubious. I think they think they are goats

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 10:05:34 pm »
My orphan lambs are a wee bit fussy - beg at every opportunity then sleep on the hay - I have Ready Grass/Grass On (dried grass in a big bale) as a treat for the goat now and again and tipped a bucket of that over the hay and that got mine going - maybe worth a go
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 12:11:41 pm »
Mine certainly aren't fussy - they keep breaking into the chicken run to eat the chicken feed - they even lick the spilled food off fresh chicken poop - Urgh!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 03:11:19 pm »
Mine are also fussy. They would eat nuts from a bucket but now I've bought them a trough they can't seem to fancy them. Do you pander to them or ignore them?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 09:14:39 pm »
Sylvia - depends on their condition. If they are in good condition any way, I would leave them to it, but empty the troughs after a while, otherwise the crows will c**p all over them, and they fill up with water/snow.

My ewes are in good condition and will not eat their afternoon straw (but eat their nuts and haylage in the morning), but the lambs are polishing off anything, including their straw. But we have more than 2" of snow here now for over a week!

Also the lambs are much more vocal, I find I have to close my ears - whenever they hear me outside the baaa-ing starts!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 10:40:23 pm »
Thank you Anke - close my ears, must do that - I hear the lambs and automatically throw more hay over to their pile, then noticed it was a pile so I think their getting picky and just shouting when they see me - will bowl me over for crunchies in the evening but spend more time sleeping on their hay pile than eating it - so I think the conclusion is their spoilt!!! We do have about 2 ft of snow though so I don't want them to be hungry -- rock and a hard place springs to mind
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 08:28:22 am »
Well I was having the same battle with 3 lambs and I have sadly lost. 2 I can understand as they just didn't have the same condition as the other lambs and for love nor money could I get them to eat hay but the other looked in good condition but when I came back from getting the food at the weekend she had past away (it was -12) I have a feeling that the cold had a role to play as well as the battle with there condition.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 06:20:24 pm »
That's quite sad, but if they weren't in good condition there is not much you can do with this  cold weather just now. I have a 12 year old ewe, she is in with the lambs as I really do not want her to see the tup again (she would if she could!), and check every morning if she is still there, so far so good she is doing ok. She is a shetland, tough as old boots. No teeth left - and she loves toast. I can hand feed her with no danger of getting my fingers crunched too!

If my lambs wouldn't eat their haylage within half an hour I will take it away again (and give to the ones that eat it), mine have it in feeders and I do throw a bit onto clean snow - all is gone very soon. It is strange I never taught them about hay, so don't know why yours wouldn't pick it up. I did feed concnetrate to the lambs and ewes right after they were born, as we did not have good grass until the end of April, so they learnt to trough feed early on. I think I had a hayfeeder in there too, but can't remember.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS