Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blueberries  (Read 3349 times)

kjohnson34

• Joined Nov 2010
Blueberries
« on: November 26, 2010, 01:35:04 pm »
How do i get fruit, i have 5 bushes and they grow well but i get little or no fruit.

cookie

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 03:10:54 pm »
i give mine eracateous feed twice a year and that seems to give them a boost.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:48:22 pm »
How are your bushes grown? Are they in the ground or in pots?  If in pots, are they in rich compost for acid-loving plants and how often do you repot?  Do they get manure added as a top dressing each year?  If the soil is not sufficiently acid you can add flowers of sulphur. Are the birds getting to the fruit or is there no blossom?  Do they run short of water when they are in blossom or the fruit has set?  Some years my blueberries crop heavily and others they barely produce anything - no obvious reason.  As long as you have dealt with all of the above, just be patient.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 08:55:43 am »
I have 4 bushes, all quite young ones - one started cropping this year and was laden with berries, two others had a few berries but nothing much, and the 4th was hopeless - all in the same conditions and under the same management ::)

I just felt so happy to have blueberries for breakfast out of the garden for the first time that I didn't really worry about the others, I'm sure they'll come along.  They're all pot kept because of my longstanding wish to move ::)

I was planning to repot them in November, in new ericaceous compost but didn't because of the weather - so am torn between leaving them be and adding nutrients to the pots they're in, or repotting in March and accepting I may not get much crop if they're setting roots rather than fruit ::)  I reckon I'll see how the weather is in March before deciding anything ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:04:13 am »
Hi,

Ph balance is ESSENTIAL for blueberries - it must be between 5 & 5.5.

Also they cannot tolerate drying out of the soild or standing in sodden soil.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS