Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on setting out an orchard please  (Read 3974 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Advice on setting out an orchard please
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:24:39 pm »
Thanks to a tip off from a fellow forumer I am now the proud owner of a selection of fruit trees which I intend to plant in an orchard area. The area currently has only one apple tree in an area 38 meters x 24meters.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to set it out? Can I just plant the new trees anywhere as long as they are a suitable distance apart?

Buffy   

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Advice on setting out an orchard please
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:42:44 pm »
We have an orchard association in Central Scotland, you may have one in Yorkshire.  But this website might give you some info.

http://www.fvfl.org.uk/Forth-Valley-Orchards/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:52:07 pm »
I plant mine in an 'X' grid.

I.e:

X  X  X
  X  X
X  X  X

(Hope the above grid makes sense). This helps the sun reach each tree as it moves throughout the day.

Any taller rootstock trees to the 'rear/outside row', not in center, so that all benefit from the sun. To aid pollination, I keep all the trees together by type, eg: apples in a row, plums in a row, pears in a row etc etc.

Planting distances as per your rootstock, and I use a good mix of well rotted compost, the earth from the hole and (for my heavy soil), sand.

After planting keep the grass a good foot away from the tree base and water copiously. Don't forget to use a stake and proper tree tie per tree, and a tree guard to stop the bark being nibbled.

:apple:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:22:04 pm »
Thanks Oh la la,

I havent quite managed to get mine in the neat pattern that you have illustrated due to other features on the site, shade from buildings etc but have done most of the things that you suggested except stake them and protect them from nibbling. I will when I get to the garden centre for some ties etc. Why does the grass need to be cleared away from them?

Buffy

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:50 pm »
The grass will take the nutrition and moisture away from the trees (grass right up the tree is fine for older trees in mature orchards but not for any new youngsters). Also, if the area is to be mown or strimmed the trunk could be damaged.

:apple:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS