Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weighing pigs  (Read 13229 times)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
Weighing pigs
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:47:50 am »
Please help folks what one of these measurements is right ?? my 2 piggies are booked in to go next thursday I actulay thought they were a lot heavier than this by looking at themand by them standing on my feet when i try to feed them lol

girth x girth x length x 69.4 = KG weight

.98 x .98 x 1.1 x 69.4  =  73.32 kg

or

(L x G x G) ÷ 13781 (cm) = weight in kg

110 x 90 x 90 / 13781 =  65kg

What weight is right ????

HappyHippy

Re: Weighing pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:05:05 am »
The calculation I use is girth squared x length x 69.3 = weight
(measurements in meters and weight in Kg)
So using your measurements (btw you've used 90 for 1 calulation and 98 for the other ;))
0.9 squared = 0.81 x 1.1 x 69.3 = 61.74 Kg
0.98 girth would give 73.2Kg

An APPROXIMATE live to dead weight is 72%
So your 62Kg carcass will kill out to 44.5Kg or 53Kg from a 73Kg carcass.

HTH
Karen

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:07:57 am »
Is that good ?

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:23:41 am »
Is that good ?

53KG deadweight is about what we aim for as a rule for the porkers. We find that 50KG ish deadweight, makes about 50KG of sausage - the weight of the bones, and other losses, seem to equal the amount of rusk/flavouring/water you add to the pork.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:30:39 am »
It's all relative  ;D
Ideally a liveweight of closer to 85Kg will give you more pork BUT you've got to weigh things up - is it worth the cost of feeding over the next wee while (cos it won't put much more weight on them in cold weather) and the hassle factor when (if) the snow comes worth it for a few extra Kg's ? IMHO the meat will be the same quality, any extra weight from extra feeding now is likely to go straight to fat anyway.
The smallest of my 3 killed out at 46Kg if that helps ?
I collected my pork yesterday (apart from 1 which has been put to curing) and the butcher said he'd never seen such nice pork, with as little fat in his life (granted he was only in his early 30's, if that ;)) he called it 'stunning' ;D ;D ;D and said he'd actually brought some butchers from his other shop up to see the carcasses. 2 pigs completely filled my small chest freezer and more than half of my tall upright one - don't stress yourself trying to get the weights up now, just enjoy your hard work.
BTW the GOS x Large Black is soooooooooo nice  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:44:46 am »
Which abbatoir and butchers did you use Karen? I'm just being nosy!

I have a fancy for Large Black crosses too- maybe in the future!

Beth

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:34:05 am »
Hi Beth,
It was Shotts abatoir (owned by Chapmans) and the butchery was done by William at their Glasgow Rd shop in Wishaw.
Their costs are 70p per kilo (inc sausages) plus 70p per kilo for curing.
I got 3 pigs killed, 2 for pork, 1 for curing and the total cost (including killing, transport, packing, labelling and curing) was £169.
Once I've got the cured pig back, i'll list EXACTLY what amounts I've got (if it would be of any help)

What I REALLY want are some registered LB gilts and cross with a tammy boar (before AIing with pure LB for future litters) my reasoning is that they'd do well in the woodland (and help keep the weeding under control and deer away) and the LB would chill the Tamworth out (maybe ? just a bit lol!) and it would make some GREAT bacon  :yum:
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 02:46:26 pm »
we weigh ours before sending them to slaughter 120 kilos to get a good eye of bacon ideally you want a minimum of 10 mm back fat it all depends on feeding large blacks can get fatter than tamworths mangalitzs are a naturally fat pig as are kune kunes when did you see a skinny mourie we do our own cutting and sausages got the certificates it solves the problem of is it mine and have i been shorted on weight    as to rooting to much concentrate they dont root as much all breeds of pig will root if they are not ringed remember to find out the limit for weight for your selected abattoir before sending them or they will be rejected and heavier the next week

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 03:18:53 pm »
we do our own cutting and sausages got the certificates it solves the problem of is it mine and have i been shorted on weight

yes, I'll be doing my sums carefully when i get it all back :-\
Thanks Lillian, wanting to cross more for temprament and taste rather than rooting ability, my Kunes (adults) don't root at all and I'm too worried that the piglets will get lost in 130 acres to let them loose in the wood, hence the need for something bigger and more inclined to root !

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 04:26:13 pm »
Intresting topic!

I have just measured one of my boys and measurements are: girth 109cm, length 124 cm ( middle of ears to tail) so according to the calculation above he is approx 102 kg. I'm pretty pleased with that as he will be 28 weeks when he goes for slaughter. All of them are quite even in size, so Im going to have alot of pork!

Is the calculation accurate to a few kilos?
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:42:06 pm »
Yes, I think it is to within about 5Kg - but I have to confess, I've never actually checked  :-[
The last 3 pigs I sent I just went 'by eye' and reckoned they were about right (it's a bit like having kids I think - first time round you want to do everything totally by the book and get obsessed by weights and measures and having everything 'just right', further down the line it's amazing how relaxed about it all you get - but that could just be me  ;D) they killed out between 45 and 50 Kg and I'm more than happy with that  ;) ;D

On the LB x Tammy subject - I've spoken to Lee (ukag) and she has some  ;D
And say's they DO make great meat pigs. Watch this space........................
She's SUCH a bad influence on me  ;D ;D :pig: :pig: :pig:

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 08:38:31 pm »
Thats who I got them from I think are they away up north in lochgilped ?

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 09:34:25 pm »
Yes, Lee's up in that area - somewhere (usually chasing sheep up and down the road  ;))

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:43:03 am »
our pigs weigh 90+kg. what is the meat weight. i know the dead weight will be roughly 150kg. just worried now about the freezer. i think there may be presents ahead.

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 10:05:50 am »
I think dead weight is roughly 72%. Someone may correct me :)
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS