Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weighing pigs  (Read 13233 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Weighing pigs
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 10:10:39 am »
Shetlandpaul, which breed and what age were these 150kg pigs?

Eve  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 10:31:05 am »
I think dead weight is roughly 72%. Someone may correct me :)
That's about right  ;D

I'm confused though ShetlandPaul - you're not going to get 150Kg meat from one 90Kg pig  ??? If they're 90+Kg, they'll likely kill out around 55-60Kg and then you'll have around 40Kg of meat from each of them. Two pigs will more than fill a small chest freezer and three would probably need 2 freezers, just to be on the safe side  ;) But like Eve, I'm interested to find out what they are  ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 12:40:04 pm »
hi sorry. we have two pigs big pig and strangly little pig. the big one is roughly 95kg and the little pig is about 92kg. so roughly we expect a 75%dead weight which should give about 140kg dead weight for both but i was wondering how much of the dead weight is usuable meat. we are planning on having them split and then doing the jointing myself. planning on using most things really fancy trying to produce brawn. they are a large black crossed gos. but they are just black. and sadly very friendly.

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 01:50:18 pm »
Mine were also LB x GOS, they were all around 85Kg live weight. Killed out at around 50Kg and we got around 35-40Kg of useable meat from each of them. So you're probably looking at 100Kg in total. I would say you'll need a big chest freezer to fit them in (unless you're doing lots of curing)
I've got to say too, that this is some of the nicest pork I've had. Much sweeter than any of the other crosses I've had and without doubt the best bacon ever ! but I've not taken any tamworth crosses for bacon - that's next  ;)(and although they were quite small in baconer terms, the eye of the bacon is still a good size)
HTH
Karen x

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 05:45:00 pm »
1 pig = 1 tall standing freezer plus a bit more, in the case of our 6-month chubby GOS, but then we have the heads (for brawn, the recipe we had worked really well), bones for stock and skin, too.

:wave:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 07:55:56 pm »
could you post it eve.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 03:45:52 pm »
Here it is:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/535161

Hubby is the brawn maker in our house as it takes a strong stomach (the eyes are still in the heads!  :o). I believe there was quite a bit of unused liquid the first time 'round, and we used less lemon after the first time, too. It all takes a bit of tasting and playing. The parsley in it is nice.

The brawn from our own pigs' heads tasted better. Could be imagination, of course!

Enjoy!

nessjw

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 09:57:22 pm »
I used a horse weigh tape...turned out to be pretty much right...they went as 100 kg...dead weight was 80 kg..thereabouts...though only got 44 kg back as a whole pig...plus 14 lbs of sausages..with that whole pig..(offal not included)...feed back ..excuse the pun..everyone is delighted with the meat..especially the sausages...just thought with 80 kg of dead weight..would have a bit more  ???..probaly missing the obvious ;D

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 11:32:54 pm »
This measuring things beyond me as i have weighed the 2 halfs from the spotty pig one being 31kg and the other with its head on being 39kg so that makes it 80kg ????
going by my measurements they should have weighed that alive including allt here inerds ???

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 10:23:47 am »
Did you get the heads back, as they weigh a fair bit

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »
Yes got the heads back and I am making head and trotter brawn from the river cottage meat book it smells great !!

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »
Collected my pigs this morning and dead weight was 84kg, 81kg and 2 @ 75kg. have had a productive day cutting 3 of them! Started at 8.30am and finished at 2.30pm. It was so rewarding and we had chops for dinner which were to die for...if I may say so myself! :yum: :yum: They had about 2cm to 2.5cm of back fat. Have around 15kg of meat to make sausages, salamis and chiorizo tommorow and bacon the following day. Thank goodness for this cold weather...I dont have to use my fridges at the moment! Willpost some pics of cutting etc when i can figure out how to reduce file size:) I'm a very happy bunny indeed and a little tipsy as have had a small whisky...or three!
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 10:00:49 pm »
Well sarha iv been doing the same well apart from the whiskey it a school night im only allowed guiness !!
This has been my first atempt and we have a freezer full of chops / stuffed rolled bellies / roasting joints / back bacon curing / belly curing for streaky bacon / have made pork and apricot and pork and leak sausages / and some wet curing to make some hams.
Been at it all day Saturday afternoon, all day sunday, last night after work and tonight.
tomorow night got chorizo to make and a quarter to butcher and thats it all done apart from finishing the curing.
and hey your right thank god for the cold weather my friend come into my shed and said " for futt sake is this what fred wests shed looked like "
Been good funn

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 09:12:23 am »
 :-[ :-[  Dun. hens have just reread your post and seen it says with heads on.  Am very embarrassed.  Sorry :-[

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 08:31:21 pm »
Dundonaldhens....it's great isn't it?? Busy but bloody rewarding!! Was going to make sausages today but thats my job tommorow. I've been curing bacon and have put one ham in a wet cure ( brine ) ready for xmas as I'm not brave enough to do air dried ham at the moment....so busy day tommorow:)....and I'm looking forward to it! Thank goodenss I have not got work until Friday.
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS