Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of home reared Pork?  (Read 10148 times)

chickenfeed

Re: Price of home reared Pork?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 09:01:18 am »
that was one of the points i was trying to make if the price of pork (however tracable) comes close to the price of beef people around here will not pay for the pork.

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 10:29:32 pm »
Thank you all for your views and advise. 
I did not mention in my original post that I am based in Dorset. 

Hopefully, after all my costs, I will end up keeping a pig to fill my freezer which will not have cost me too much, and enjoy eating good quality pork from animals that I know were well cared for and had a good life.

Sarah

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 09:28:02 am »
Hi Sarah I'm from Dorset  my son still lives there, and they drive out to the New Forest to a small farm shop and pay an arm and a leg for decent meat especially pork.  If you are any where near Poole, and can get down to lower Parkstone, there was a butcher there who only did free range, proper meat.  If he is still there check out his prices.  His bacon used to sell out within a couple of hours of opening, and free range eggs had to be pre-ordered.  This was a few years ago, but would imagine as he was so popular he is still there unless retired.  Real Meat Company I think it was called.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 10:09:41 am »
The price you can get really depends on the area you live in.
We're on the Yorkshire/Cleveland boundary I sell 1/4 pigs for £75 and 1/2 pigs for £140. At these prices i just about break even and thats without factoring a charge for my time & labour!! Work out what its cost you to raise your porkers and don't under sell them. If you cover your costs and get 1/2 or 1/4 pig for yourself then you'll have done well.
What makes my blood boil is when the supermarkets put pork 'outdoor bred' on special offer for like £3/kg! ::) their labelling makes people think they're buying free range pork when they're not!! Unfortunately Trading standards are like wet weekends when it comes to stomping on misleading labelling, look at the carry on the GOS club have had with Waitrose!
Whereever you decide to pitch your prices, the most important thing is that you consider yourself to have done a good job rasing your pigs and that you're happy with the outcome.
All the best Mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS