Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of home reared Pork?  (Read 10138 times)

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
Price of home reared Pork?
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:36:24 pm »
Hello,

I am brand new to the group as well as to keeping pigs.  I have spent hours reading this forum and have found your advise invaluable.

I have 6 pigs that I am rearing for slaughter, mainly for us and friends but will have 1 spare to sell on.  Can anyone please advise me a what I should be charging for half a pig.  I have no idea what the finished dead weight will be, but would like some idea of price per kilo?   I last bought half a pig about 18 months ago and paid £150.00 for it...

My pigs are blacks x berkshire with a small amount of Kune Kune in there somewhere. 

Any advise would be really helpful.

Thanks
Sarah.

HappyHippy

Re: Price of home reared Pork?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 12:30:16 am »
Hi Sarah (and welcome to TAS)
I've just done LOADS of research into prices (cos I've a bit of excess myself ;))
You can either work out how much it costs to raise your pig to slaughter weight plus all associated costs - killing, butchery, packaging etc and divide it up per kilo deadweight adding a wee bit of profit for yourself OR check out prices from supermarket basic right up to organic pedigree free range pork and go for something in between. I did both  ::)
For a half pig you're probably still looking at about £150 or £6-£7 per kilo (average cost) obviously there will be cuts worth more than that and your mince etc which would be less.
If you want to have a sneaky peek at my prices here they are http://yonderton.webs.com/prices.htm
HTH
Karen

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 07:20:56 am »
we got a half pig for 80 quid from the local butcher cut up. clearly not the best quality pork but nice still. can you really get away with that price i doubt you would up here.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 08:41:09 am »
Generally people are prepared to pay more for correctly reared pork/bacon over here N.I we are a few years behind the mainland in terms of awareness of such things and those prices and higher are achieved for quality home raised outdoor pork here by several rare breed butchers. You do need to cover costs and raising pigs is NOT cheap the public do need to know this and pay a fair price.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:15:56 am »
We just sold our spare for for £60 a quarter, cant rember the exact size but it was a large pig, and people were happy to pay that, but we are in affluent Oxfordshire!!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 09:39:07 am »
We find people buy on quality and tracibility rather than price.  Have never had any family/friends say that we are too expensive, only that we don't produce enough to meet demand!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 12:21:36 pm »
I agree, its critical to tell the 'story' behind your pork - welfare, taste, local etc.  What we produce is much better than that in the supermarkets!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 06:47:49 pm »
I'm in the Home Counties and sell the half pigs for about £175, that includes everything up to delivery of the half pig to their butcher - so the buyers pay for the butchering on top of the £175.

Eve  :wave:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:49:50 pm by Eve »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 09:42:48 pm »
ouch

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 06:39:58 am »
blimey,  :o :o  we were thinking of selling ours for about £100 for 1/2 pig.....
do you think we need to reconsider :pig: :pig:  :yum: :pig:

chickenfeed

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 06:50:46 am »
 :o i dont think people around here would pay that sort of money for 1/2 a pig, we sell ours for £90, a price that seems about average around here.

what sort of weight is the 1/2 a pig for £175 the reason i ask is i have just paid that sort of money for a 25kg box of dexter beef.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 08:21:29 am »
we sell our half pig for £130 and as post says above people just want to know the pigs have been treated well and have full traceability, never been questioned on price  :wave:

chickenfeed

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 08:42:54 am »
i agree people want to know where their meat comes from and it has been well looked after, we welcome people to visit our animals. i really dont think we could sell ours for over £100 per 1/2 pig as we have lots of competition around here so we sell at a fair price to us and the consumer and lots of our customers come back to us time and time again, the same with the lambs and goats we sell for meat and the beef that will be on offer in the next year or so.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:25 am »
Yes, I think a lot of it has to do with where you live. A farm nearby sells their half pigs for £215 or £205 but that includes butchering - I don't think their customers get trotters, head, bones etc but I'm not sure though, never checked!  ;)

I think it's great that so many people want meat from animals that have had a good life - that's the reason we started in the first place!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:54 am »
Yes, I think a lot of it has to do with where you live. A farm nearby sells their half pigs for £215 or £205 but that includes butchering - I don't think their customers get trotters, head, bones etc but I'm not sure though, never checked!  ;)

I think it's great that so many people want meat from animals that have had a good life - that's the reason we started in the first place!
don't worry eve if your customers are happy theres no problem.
im just tight we bought a 1/4 of a cow butchered and labeled back end for a 180 weight was aroung 50kg. so instinctively i would not want to pay those prices for pork. no that we will need to as little pig  and big pig are due to go soon. i can understand why the price is high 40-50 to buy the piglet feeding slaughter at 25 up here and then butchery. so a guess about a hundred per half pig would break even. i find it best to forget that the piggy in the garden can cost more than prime beef.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS