Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing a boar  (Read 2570 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
Introducing a boar
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:51:23 pm »
Hi all,

I will be collecting my Christmas present from my mother this weekend, a 7 month old large black boar ;D

I have a separate pen and ark set up for him next to the main pen to gently introduce him, will he be OK on his own? he will be within sight of the rest of the gang but I'm not sure as i know they dint like to be on their own.

I have a couple of castrated osb that are 4/5 months old, would it be better if i put those together for a bit of company?

cheers
Rob
Rob & Manda :)

HappyHippy

Re: Introducing a boar
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:06:58 pm »
Hi Rob,
I wouldn't put him in with your other boars (even castrates) I've found that unless the boars are brothers they'll just bully each other or start fighting - and I wouldn't much fancy trying to break that one up, especially with a 7 month old large black - he's gonna be a big boy  ;)
HTH
Karen

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:54:27 am »
As Karen says don't mix him with any boars, they will fight.
So long as he can see other pigs he should be fine. Our boar is between ladies at the moment and i think he's savouring the peace and quiet ;D but not for long another young lady is due any day, so back to work!
When you introduce him to your ladies it would be better to bring them to him if you can, then he won't be so bullyish with them. if you take him to them he will spend a lot of time marking his turf and throwing his weight around to make them know he's boss.
HTH
Mandy

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 09:14:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies i will put him in his own area and see how he settles in, he is a big boy ive been to see him a couple of times and im looking forward to picking him up sunday ;D
Rob & Manda :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS