Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No cheap supermarket fruit trees?  (Read 11116 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: No cheap supermarket fruit trees?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 01:03:37 pm »
Just went to aldi, but there was nothing left. They have soft fruit bushes now though (in pots).
They did have Braeburn, Granny Smith, you know the usual commercial varieties
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Eeyore77

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 11:07:46 am »
Got the last four trees from Home Bargains in Montrose today.  :excited: Two Jonagold, an Elstar and a “mystery” tree, that looks like an apple from the bark, but we will see what it develops into in time.  ;)
All getting a good soak now ahead of being planted out, but seem in alright condition and a bargain at £5.99 each.
Would never have thought to check Home Bargains, till it was mentioned earlier, so thanks for the tip.

fenwoman

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 01:44:49 pm »
Just went to aldi, but there was nothing left. They have soft fruit bushes now though (in pots).
They did have Braeburn, Granny Smith, you know the usual commercial varieties

All part of Brexit. Most are grown in Holland and shipped to the UK a local auction house which buys trees, shrubs and plants was saying yesterday that he simply can't get hold of anything. My nearest garden centre is selling last year's stock but at double the price, and said he can't get more for the foreseeable future. It's what people voted for <shrugs>

Sponge

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2021, 06:49:58 am »
I've not checked home bargains, so I'll have a look today.

So far I've only managed a raspberry pot from Aldi (3.99). Very healthy looking one. They had a couple of varieties, some blackberries (I've enough bramble here to sate that one!) and blackcurrant which I wished I'd got now cos I love the jam.

I ended up getting a nice 2m tall cherry tree from Stermat, but it was 29 pounds so I can't get too many of those.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 03:37:46 pm »
.....  and blackcurrant which I wished I'd got now cos I love the jam.

If you end up missing out on blackcurrants this year, 'sponge' a few cuttings from a neighbour or friend and just stick 'em in the ground- they will take really easily.  Not the instant solution you might desire, but worth doing.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2021, 11:24:23 am »
We always buy our fruit trees from blackmore online they are brilliant trees and always get a bumper crop they are more expensive but suppose you get what you pay for. i have never found supermarket trees do well so that's why we brought decent trees

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2021, 04:49:31 pm »
I've had about 15 supermarket fruit trees over the years, both in my present home and my previous one.  Maybe I was lucky but they were superb, and only cost about £6 each

I have 6 supermarket apples, plums and a cherry here now, and they are growing well since planting a few months ago, I wouldn't expect much in the way of fruit this year or next.

Of the two 'posher' supermarket apple trees, one has loads of fruit on it, the other is a twin variety and ahs nothing on it at all, I don't even remember flowers on it

But what I'm REALLY looking forward to is the lower bunches of elderflowers to come out so I can get my cordial and wine started YUM!!!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS