Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nectarine  (Read 4686 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Nectarine
« on: May 20, 2021, 10:52:29 pm »
Looks like I'm not going to get any fruit from my nectarine tree due to peach leaf curl. Does anyone know of an organic way of treating it?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Nectarine
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 09:17:41 pm »
Any chance of a pic ?

In meantime, have you inspected carefully for sucking insects on underside of leaves?

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 10:22:07 pm »
When we had a garden with a nectarine we used a copper sulphate spray. It really made a difference. The tree went from one rather sorry looking fruit to 8 or 9 in just a year.  But I think you have to do it just before the leaves open so that the fungus doesn't have a chance to infect the plant.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 12:11:37 am »
I did buy something that is permitted on organic land and must dig it out again. It's probably too late to cure it this year so I must make sure I'm ready next spring.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 04:18:39 pm »
Not too late to prune out and burn (or put in the rubbish bin) though [member=23109]Mad Goatwoman of Madeley[/member]

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 05:43:08 pm »
After-thought [member=23109]Mad Goatwoman of Madeley[/member] :

As you will know, there are plenty of household (organic) products that can provide some or good defence against plant fungal (& viral) diseases and then there are some (organic) not so "household" products besides the 'approved' commercial offerings.  (Commercial 'approved' offerings have obviously gone through extensive trials, whereas the non-commercial offerings have not.) Whether any one of these would help (along with the recommended pruning) is unknown, but surely gotta be worth trying a spray solution from one or more of, if only to make the PLC spores have to work harder to infect your nectarine again.  In no particular order:

- Bicarb' of soda (not baking powder!)
- Calcium chloride or nitrate
- Cinnamon powder or oil
- Epsom salts (Now, I understand this contains a sulphur compound so it would, perhaps, be my 1st choice.)
- Garlic
- Chilli
- Milk (!) - any sort of milk.
- Mustard oil/greens (Latter steeped 50% in water.  Can't recall whether needs to be diluted afterwards, but I think so)
- Neem oil (added via a warmed partially diluted/emulsified starter mix to add to final spray mix)
- Potassium bicarbonate
- Urine (!)

Even a seaweed spray solution or worm-cast liquor might help in some way.

Spray recipes/recommended dilutions readily found ont' web.

Additions of vinegar, veg' oil and liquid soap (not detergent) might also be considered with latter two helping with adherence/penetration.

Hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to teach Granny, but I'm a firm believer in trying everything when the alternative 'approved' chemicals might need much more careful/onerous handling precautions (for health reasons or even environmental reasons) although they might be considered to be 'organic'.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:05:30 pm by arobwk »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 11:20:36 pm »
I'm a great believer in trying without chemicals so I am going to start at the top of the list as I do have some bicarb. Thank you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS