Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Partnership small holding  (Read 2623 times)

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
Partnership small holding
« on: February 15, 2021, 01:39:21 pm »
Do  you  think there  are many  people  looking  to  get  into  smallholding /shepherding  I  m about  to  expand   my  sheep  enterprise   significantly  due   to  taking  on   a lot  more  ground...I  wondering   if  I  could   find  someone  to  get  involved.Iknow  location  would be key(I m in Yorkshire) but  has  any  one  done this/thoughts

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Partnership small holding
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:30:06 pm »
It has been said that if you want to get rid of an enemy, then give him a smallholding. The theory being presumably that running a smallholding is likely to use up most of his time and money and therefore he will no longer be a nuisance to you.

You have asked a somewhat open question country soul. What exactly did you have in mind? Are you wanting someone to help buy the extra sheep you will need to fill the extra land?
Do you want someone with experience to help you with lambing?
Or are you looking for someone with no experience to help you at peak times, for little or no money as they will be gaining experience as they go along?

I have, in the past, had someone help me with fencing, foot trimming etc as he wanted to gain experience. He was more trouble than he was worth as appeared to have little natural ability and it took me longer to supervise and redo what he'd done wrong than if I'd done it myself in the first place.

I also had a sort of partnership with a neighbour many years ago. We owned a couple of acres of land each  and decided to get a few Ryeland sheep, and share the care of them. We got them home and I trimmed their feet as they'd been a bit neglected. He was going to do the next trim. It never happened. I also gave them their initial vaccination and he was going to do the second one. That also never happened. I wormed them all, and for some of them that was the last time they were wormed as by then I could see how this was panning out, so suggested that we separate them and each look after his own. Even that involved me alone as I had a sheep dog and a decent trailer and he didn't. But it wouldn't have been insurmountable for him to have at least been present at the gathering to open and close the field gates, if nothing else. But he had to go shopping at that exact time - even though he was retired and could have gone any time.

So my personal experiences of any sort of partnership are not good.   

But all circumstances and people are different, and you can never say "never".

However, I am mindful of some advice I was given many years ago which is "The worse ship in the world is a partnership." Obviously not always true, but like in any relationship, it's easy to get a long way in before you realise you have chosen the wrong person, and then it is difficult and stressful getting free again.   

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 10:31:59 am »
Could you take on an apprentice?  Do you have a spare room and could feed him/her in return for assistance?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 11:38:04 am »
 ("also had a sort of partnership with a neighbour many years ago. We owned a couple of acres of land each  and decided to get a few Ryeland sheep, and share the care of them. We got them home and I trimmed their feet as they'd been a bit neglected. He was going to do the next trim. It never happened. I also gave them their initial vaccination and he was going to do the second one. That also never happened. I wormed them all, and for some of them that was the last time they were wormed as by then I could see how this was panning out, so suggested that we separate them and each look after his own. Even that involved me alone as I had a sheep dog and a decent trailer and he didn't. But it wouldn't have been insurmountable for him to have at least been present at the gathering to open and close the field gates, if nothing else. But he had to go shopping at that exact time - even though he was retired and could have gone any time. ")

This reminds me of the the time we reared our first weaner pigs. We were friends with two other couples both of whom wanted to buy a pig (once butchered) to share. They asked if they could contribute to the feeding by way of giving us leftover fruit/veg from their gardens, allotment, apple trees etc and also "pop up from time to time to help out".  We agreed and rather naively said, as they were good friends, they could have the pig "at cost".

In the end the total veg contribution amounted to 3 marrows and the helping out never happened. The one time I asked if someone could pop up to feed the pigs at tea time as we were away for the day 200 miles away at a family party and wouldn't be home till late I was told that they couldn't manage it as they had family round and it would be difficult to pop over. They lived less than a mile away!

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 03:19:38 pm »
Thanks  for  sharing  your  experiences  it's a shame  it  didn't  work  out  .I  guess  it  does  depend  on  the  party involved .My  situation   is  pretty  flexible and  I ve   more land  than  I  need really (rented and  owned)  and  am  reluctant   to  let  some  of  it  go and  hence   my  initial question...I  think part of  the  problem is  lack  of  aspiring  younger  people  which  is  a  shame.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 05:14:56 pm »
..I  think part of  the  problem is  lack  of  aspiring  younger  people  which  is  a  shame.

I dont think there is a shortage of young people .... but they will need a proper income to live off
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 06:22:13 pm »
While you ponder your predicament country soul (and not wishing to give up any of your land - rented or owned), can you not rent-out for grazing or haylage for what ever time you need to work out a means of expanding your own enterprises ?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 06:40:19 pm »
Just wondering country soul - whereabouts in Yorkshire are you? Anywhere near Goole/Selby?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 07:32:41 pm »
..I  think part of  the  problem is  lack  of  aspiring  younger  people  which  is  a  shame.

I dont think there is a shortage of young people .... but they will need a proper income to live off

Totally agree.

I think the first thing is to decide what you want and how you might achieve it so you know what sort of partners you are looking for. It is possible to work in partnerships but everyone needs to be clear about what is expected from them and have contracts in place. You can't expect anyone to come and work for nothing (not that I'm saying you expect this).

If you have accommodation or it could be found locally you could offer placements to vet/farm students.

There are lots of people who have money and ambitions to farm but have no land so I think you could find people who would love this opportunity.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 10:20:17 pm »

Yes there are soooooo many young people who really want to get into farming but have no access to land. They would love to get in some sort of partnership.

I still would be weary of this though...
Be very careful when doing any type of business partnerships.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 11:26:22 pm »

Yes there are soooooo many young people who really want to get into farming but have no access to land. They would love to get in some sort of partnership.

I still would be weary of this though...
Be very careful when doing any type of business partnerships.

Yes be careful. Take legal advice. There are always the scare stories but there are also the success stories too. You might decide it isn't the way forward for you but equally once you've explored the options you might find something that works.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 11:28:52 pm »
Thanks  for  sharing  your  experiences  it's a shame  it  didn't  work  out  .I  guess  it  does  depend  on  the  party involved .My  situation   is  pretty  flexible and  I ve   more land  than  I  need really (rented and  owned)  and  am  reluctant   to  let  some  of  it  go and  hence   my  initial question...I  think part of  the  problem is  lack  of  aspiring  younger  people  which  is  a  shame.

There are aspiring younger people. OK not on every street corner or in every field gate but they are out there.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 09:42:09 pm »
I suggest you have a look on the,https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/sheep-grazing.332496/#post-7259029It may be a more commercial venture, but it would give you an idea of what's involved.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS