Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed bins  (Read 13637 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Feed bins
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 01:01:58 am »
Not a lot I can do about that then.  I can't move the sheds now they are up.  The rats aren't bothering me really and since the burn runs through the garden they are inevitable, but the dogs running through any contaminated water does so i'd prefer they weren't around.  Maybe I just have to keep the dogs lepto jabs up to date and cross my fingers.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterhouse

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 05:34:15 pm »
Get a Jack Russell...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 06:08:44 pm »
Get a Jack Russell...
Wish I could, but with five gundogs I don't think I could,handle any more.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 06:10:44 pm »
Air rifle, a torch, some bait (cat food), a warm jacket and a bit of patience!  That combined with my cats and rat trap (really big mouse trap!) soon did away with the problem.

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 01:43:07 pm »
Has anyone thought about wheelie bins ?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 06:04:16 pm »
Bit hit and miss but I've found my best galvanised storage/feeders at the Boot Sales. Other than that it's 'that' auction site or the local small ads. You could try putting a 'wanted' ad up your local feed suppliers.

Wheelie bins are too tall and deep to get feed in/out of easily, but I've found both plastic and metal dustbins work fine (the plastic ones have never been chewed), but problem there is, can easily end up with 6+ of them in a row........

:farmer:

waterhouse

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »
Salt/grit bins are excellent if you can find any without raiding the local streets.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 12:52:17 am »
Great guys and gals. Wheelie bins was an option but as mentioned there a little to deep for me back issue :( Galvanised dustbins damned fine items just needed to upgrade to a bit larger.

Salt bins, theres an idea  :) plastic but pretty heavy gauge stuff Ill take a look around, Urhm not the streets honest  ;) ;D

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 08:21:09 am »
Get yourself along to a farmers mart. Most do equipment or a farm depletion sales. Ive got two round corrugated iron bins very strong and both under £20 each.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

hartstone

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Midlands
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 11:28:58 am »
I use wheelie bins , you buy different sizes ranging from £20 - £80

You can move them with ease ;)

waterhouse

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 06:12:11 pm »
and if you put something in the bottom - we use bottle crates - you don't have to lean in so far

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 07:22:32 pm »
still got at least 3 frezers with glass slideing lids for feed bins if anyone wants them before thay go to the tip thay may even work but i wouldnt risk it so all come with plugs and leads cut off but they are free!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 07:31:58 pm »
wheelie bins!

we use the council - provided compost wheelie bin (I keep my compost, thanks) and have just bought a new one as extra storage as the bl**dy rats have got into the shed.

open bags of pig feed go into  a big dustbin with clip-on lid
Little Blue

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 03:48:07 am »
Why not use a silo .....auger it in the top and get it out the bottom! :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 09:27:52 am »
the tonnage that you are using blonde is far greater than  the majority will be going through in Brittan on this site

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS