Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed bins  (Read 13658 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Feed bins
« on: November 06, 2010, 10:55:41 pm »
Shopping around for a feed storage bin. I was looking at the ones with the double compartment and lockable lids. An idea where I can source one at a good price. thanks

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Feed bins
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 11:16:52 pm »
I use an old freezer with seals removed. Usually free if you can source a broken one going to the tip!

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 03:23:07 pm »
if anyone want any chest freezers i have a few free to collectors im in hope valley derbyshire

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 04:05:58 pm »
www.acorndev.co.uk they advertise in country smallholder dont know what their prices are like

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:02:38 am »
Thanks for your help on this. Yep thats the sort of thing Im after, Ive found some on e-bay they seem ok need a closer look. Used dustbins but need larger storage.
thought of freezers but thought that once closed they would develop damp and cause fungal, mold and rot in feed? You noticed it at all?

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:21:17 am »
a coal bunker would be cheaper than a feed bin, it's that word 'equine' again!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-COAL-BUNKER-3CWT-GALV-CORN-FEED-STORAGE-MADE-UK-/200495863845?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item2eae7c1825

as an example. look around for various sizes and prices.

i have a 5cwt one of these for coal, its fine! comes flat packed, just keep the hopper closed, could even silicone around it...for storing feedstuffs.

hth!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:27:07 am »
never had ANY problem with damp moulds etc in the feeds i keep in chest freezers!!
HTH
emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:22:59 pm »
I have used chest freezers as well for many years with no problems

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 10:37:16 pm »
I looked at the acorn ones and eventually (lack of funds) went for an ebay equiv. - does the job - probably thinner metal but has been great.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:51:07 pm »
What about the cheap compost bins from the Council - virtually the same design as that metal coal bunker but thick plastic - won't rust and easily disinfectable
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:52:53 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 12:22:26 pm »
What about the cheap compost bins from the Council - virtually the same design as that metal coal bunker but thick plastic - won't rust and easily disinfectable
The compost bins I've seen don't have bases Annie - they'd need a base to be vermin proof (and even then I suspect rats could still chew through them :o)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 05:41:42 pm »
Couldn't you devise a base?  If they had a mind to they'd chew through the plastic of the bin anyway.  Never seen rats in my compost bin and it's the same type as this, but there are rats under my duck shed.  Anyone know how to get rid without also killing my very hunty cat? ???
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 05:46:01 pm »
there are rats under my duck shed.  Anyone know how to get rid without also killing my very hunty cat? ???

Keep the feed bins in a shed where a Barn owl lives?  Works for me......

John

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »
there are rats under my duck shed.  Anyone know how to get rid without also killing my very hunty cat? ???

John
The rats are under the duck shed - not where the feed bins are.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 05:53:06 pm »

John
The rats are under the duck shed - not where the feed bins are.

Sorry - missed reading that bit.  For my chicken house (& my intended replacement) I keep it off the ground to reduce the chance of vermin underneath.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS