Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: good eating on an older wether?  (Read 1151 times)

westcoastcroft

• Joined Oct 2016
good eating on an older wether?
« on: November 20, 2020, 09:12:53 am »
Hi Folks

I have an 8yo tog wether that needs gone. He was a companion to milker who died this summer and even prior to that was getting unruly - ever since my partner was pregnant he took against her and tried to dominate her. So we don't want him and wouldn't really pass him on except to an experienced goat keeper and who's really after some old wether anyway.

So he needs gone.
What will the eating be like on him?
I Was thinking to get him butchered and cubed as stewing meat and maybe making a spice mix for the butcher to use for some Caribbean spiced burgers.
This is for selling from our farm shop.
Never eaten older goat before and wondering what folk think, will he be palatable? Its going to cost a fair bit to get him delivered, killed, cut and vac packed and there is no way I'll eat him all on my own..

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: good eating on an older wether?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:46:52 pm »
Mmmhhh.... aged 8  you may be pushing it a bit. He will be very fatty. We have had a 7yo ewe a while back and that meat was fine (leg slowly roasted with loads of red wine, everything else cubed then stewed, or curried or minced), but I think I would get it all minced from an 8yo goat wether. Spicy burgers may actually be quite nice.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
Re: good eating on an older wether?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 05:50:01 pm »
we had a 5yo + wether goat done a few years ago. killed out ąt 32.5kg £20 at the local abbatoir then across to the butcher £50.
got it home and cooked a bit (same way as we'd cook mutton, which i'm a big fan of) it was vile.  tried a roasting joint, simillarly vile.  ended up cubing, pressure cooking and currying the rest of it.  i was put off completely and ill never choose to eat goat again.  and thats from someone who enjoys lamb, mutton and all game.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS