Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long for sheep poo to decompose so other animals can use the land  (Read 1281 times)

Scramble

• Joined Nov 2020
Hi all
Just had 34 sheep in the field, so the goats have been in their pen. How long would you leave it before letting them back out to the field to wander. I was thinking in terms of the sheep poo being rained on and decomposed into the soil as well as reduction of risk of contamination with worms or other parasites. Thanks in advance for any tips.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: How long for sheep poo to decompose so other animals can use the land
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 11:32:49 am »
Goats are supposed to be more vulnerable to parasites carried by sheep than sheep themselves.
Itsngood idea to let them wait the whole winter (6 months). The poo won't be visible after couple of weeks but the parasite eggs will still be there after long time- especially in winter as the hot sun doesn't kill them.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 12:51:39 pm »
Do you have a large flock of poultry you could run on the ground to help clear the parasite eggs? As others have said, it can take a long time for parasites to die off without another species to clear them.  I would think a whole year for putting goats on but it's worth asking your vet for (telephone) advice there.  Were they your own sheep?  If so you will know how well treated they have been for worms.  If not, next time include FECs and worming regime in your requirements for a letting out so your ground is not potentially contaminated.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 01:43:21 pm »
Ages for parasites. Or get other animals to graze it, someone said chickens, but cattle maybe ponies might hover up the parasites. I think it’s accepted that goats should avoid land that’s just been grazed by sheep because they share and are more susceptible to the same things.

But that said, if your goats are wormed frequently and you can get their pop checked and look out for their condition score and any symptoms I guess it’ll be fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS