Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cattle Wormer advice  (Read 2489 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
Cattle Wormer advice
« on: November 13, 2020, 07:30:58 pm »
I have just housed my cows.  (2 Angus / 1 Jersey).  They are 2 years old and all currently about 6 months in calf.

I noticed that two of them have a slight cough which I hadn't heard when they were out.

I have been looking into getting them wormed but am slightly confused as to which wormer is best to get?.

I want one that includes Fluke, but what product do you all use?  I see there is a variety of wormers that are either injected, drenched or poured on.  How do I choose which one is best?.

Would love to just hear which product you all use to help me pick a popular one.

thanks in advance.
Steph
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Cattle Wormer advice
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 07:56:26 pm »
As you've now got them housed, I would use a pour on - Ivomec, or similar. It will treat lungworm (possible cause of coughing), as well as other internal parasites. In addition it will treat external parasites, which are common in housed cattle, and is easy to apply.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 08:48:18 pm »
If you plan to milk the Jersey, check the contras on the flukicide you plan to use.  Some flukicides cannot be given to cows whose milk will ever be drunk (by humans), some not within 60 days of calving (so you'd be fine.) 

If you have reason to think they may have fluke, then (if milk for human consumption is not an issue), the usual protocol is dose on housing and again 6-8 weeks later.  That way any eggs or immatures the first dose doesn't get will get wiped out by the second dose.

On the beef / lamb farm in Cumbria, we wormed youngstock on first turnout after weaning, and they got a mineral bolus then too, and fluked adults as above on housing. Other than that, no worming unless there was a problem. 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 09:17:23 pm »
Your vet will be able to advise and probably supply an appropriate wormer, so I would speak to them rather than take advice from an open forum. We currently use an ivermectin/closantel pour on which we like as it’s easy to administer, covers worms, adult fluke and lice/mites but it’s very expensive and has a long meat withdrawal.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 08:25:47 pm »
Yep, speak to your vet, they will know if there is resistance locally to certain treatments. Only treat for what is a problem - all-in-one products are driving resistance when used to solve a single problem.

Out if interest, what makes you think worms rather than e.g. pneumonia?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 10:10:02 pm »
Have you considered getting faecal egg counts done?

Last year, despite our cattle having access to wet ground, egg counts showed next to no fluke or worms so we didn't need to worm.

I think it is quite easy (and an increasing problem) to get worming wrong and lead to longer term problems with resistance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS