Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommend me a non-auto drenching gun?  (Read 1787 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Recommend me a non-auto drenching gun?
« on: November 09, 2020, 07:49:26 pm »
Hi everybody,

As per the title, we have an automatic drenching gun (the type where the bottle attaches via plastic tubing), but TBH it's hardly worth the effort of setting it up and then cleaning it out for 15 sheep, so I usually just reach for the re-usable syringe instead:

However, I just managed to break it (yeah, you know? the ones they sell as unbreakable?), and I wondered - can anybody recommend a decent half-way house instead?

I'm thinking of a spring loaded something that I can dial up a dose on, then will suck up that amount from a jar. Basically it would work in the same way as the syringe with no tubing, but would suck up the correct dose automatically.

Any ideas folks?  :thumbsup:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Recommend me a non-auto drenching gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 10:51:31 pm »
We could page [member=2128]Womble[/member], it's the sort of thing he's good at inventing... ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 11:24:38 pm »
Oh, have no fear - I'll invent one if I have to.

But in the meantime, time is money, so if anybody knows of one already on the market......  ;)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:26:02 am »
Mine is an 150ml non auto Ardes. Bought it 20 years ago for the cattle. Veg oil keeps it lubricated. Had a lot of use this year due to Edward and his yogurt and I noticed it was starting to crack. managed to get a new one and have got that ready for when the other eventually dies!

Just googled it again, £20 for the smaller version and £25 for this one plus postage. Same price as I paid £20 years ago and this year!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 08:29:58 am by PipKelpy »
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:51:08 am »
Aha!  Yes, I had seen the Ardes drenchers, but only in 150ml, which is of course too large for sheep. I hadn't realised there was also a small version available.

[member=194324]PipKelpy[/member] - is it this 60ml one you have for sheep, or is there a yet smaller one available? (I'm ideally looking for one that will do 5 to 20ml).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 08:54:50 am by Womble »

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 10:47:58 am »
Yes that's the smaller one but I only have the big. I like it as it's got a decent handle. For the sheep I use similar to the one you pictured but in white. Several sizes from 10 ml, just like a plastic syringe. If I recall it can be used either as a doser or injector but you have to use those fancy screw on needles!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 06:15:17 pm »
Aha!  Yes, I had seen the Ardes drenchers, but only in 150ml, which is of course too large for sheep. I hadn't realised there was also a small version available.

150ml is a good size if you have to get a litre or so of rehydration fluid down a goat with diahrroea, and the 50ml one I have got takes a lot of refilling...

Thanks for this thread, as I also have just broken one of my 50ml drenching syringes (drenching said goat!)...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 06:32:25 pm »
Oh yes, for rehydration fluid, 150ml makes sense.

For 8ml of wormer though? Not so much!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 08:35:23 pm »
Oh yes, for rehydration fluid, 150ml makes sense.

For 8ml of wormer though? Not so much!

I also have a 20ml and a 10ml drenching syringe, so use those for that, and so far not broken either...

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 02:32:14 pm »
 i dont have many ewes so when it comes to worming, i pour some into a magarine tub and use a 20 ml syringe. works fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS