Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Randy wether lambs?  (Read 1199 times)

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
Randy wether lambs?
« on: November 12, 2020, 07:37:48 pm »
I  ve not   kept  lambs  late  in the  year   before  but  bought   some  stores ,a mixed  bunch  of  sexes no obvious   tups  .I seen  some  of  the   wethers  acting  a  bit  rammy today  ...can  that   happen or  have  they  likely  not  been  castrated  properly..not  had   chance  to  catch  them to  check  for retained  testicles

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Randy wether lambs?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 07:45:49 pm »
None of mine have shown any signs ever but I would check them asap. Check how and when they were castrated.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 07:56:10 pm »
Need to catch and check them , do it with them standing , if you turn them on their bums it can be hard to tell if they have retained testicles as they drop into the body cavity but standing you should be able to feel them . If they have retained testicles they should be sterile from being to warm but in really cold weather they CAN  be fertile , the problem is that if they are with females they will fail to put on condition as they will fight and keep chasing females as they keep cycling all winter

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 09:39:21 pm »
Thanks  I  m  going  to  round  them all up and  check  them over....hoping  they were  just  being playful !!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 11:08:39 pm »
Our Hebs jump and 'ride on' the backs of their sisters (and brothers) from about 3 months, although they don't do the biz at that age.  But then we don't castrate them either, we just separate the males out from the females at 4 months.
Can you separate the males from the females in your gang and keep them in separate fields? With some breeds, the tale is docked in females but left long in males so it's easy to tell the difference. 

It's very likely that with animals intended for selling on, the breeder has been sloppy about castrating the males properly.  I have heard slaughterhouse staff saying that from some breeders they get a lot of pregnant ewe hoggs coming through, because they have been run with poorly castrated 'wether' hoggs. The workers are obviously upset when that happens and they find they have killed a pregnant ewe.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS