Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polecat or ferret?  (Read 5279 times)

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
Polecat or ferret?
« on: September 25, 2020, 09:29:29 am »
We have this little fella living in the loft/crawlspace at the moment and I've had lots of positive identifications as polecat, but also lots of solid advice that it's a ferret. Does anybody here have any input?

It seemed less than bothered by me being there, but timid enough to want to get back into the wall.

It's been around for a couple of weeks and has made no effort to bother our hens, so I'm not worried about that, but the noise it makes when running around at dusk sets the dogs off, so that's the biggest issue for me.

There are no ferret keepers in the immediate area, so if it's a lost domesticated one then it's some way from home. If it's a feral ferret (or polecat) then it's got a large area of territory to itself as I've seen no signs of any others around.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Polecat or ferret?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:51:47 am »
I would go with ferret. We have had ferrets this polecat colour. A true polecat wouldn't have as much white on it's face and be darker across it's back. I also think that unless it was ill it would be much less amicable than this one seems. I think the wildlife trust have a good picture of a polecat.

I would try to catch it so you can get it to ferret rescue - or maybe keep it but know it's getting food and shelter before winter sets in.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 01:26:04 pm »
Ferret.
Polecats are properly wild. Ferreters travel so she may have been lost on a days hunting rather than escaped from home. I’d say female (Jill) or young male (hob). Here in Angus there’s quite a lot, I’ve trapped or been given six and seen RTA casualties too. If it gets hungry will upset your birds. Most have been perfectly tame and handled without gloves. Actually gloves see, to upset some. I’d catch it and keep or advertise. They make a lot of poo, not whatever I’d want in my attic. Though it will rid you of any rats!

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 11:50:37 am »
Thanks for the input. I've been speaking to Ferret Rescue Scotland (Facebook group) and hope to have some help trapping it soon. I've not seen it so clearly since that day, but have borrowed a trailcam and caught video of it on our decking. I'd put out food but it didn't seem interested so presumably is happy enough with it's own hunting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS