Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame ewe  (Read 862 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Lame ewe
« on: September 22, 2020, 07:25:47 pm »
Hi. I have a 5 year old ewe with persistent lameness on her near fore.  Couldn’t see anything wrong with the foot.  Had the vet out who couldn’t find anything wrong with the foot either.  She said it could be a deep seated infection gave draxxin and metacam.  She didn’t examine her leg just the foot.  She did say I could X-ray.  The ewe continues to be lame.  She weight bears standing but is quite lame when on the move.  I have some Bute left over from a previous elderly sheep - just try that?  Anyone had a sheep’s leg xrayed?  Obviously can’t leave her continue to be lame.  Any thoughts?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lame ewe
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:34:55 pm »
If metacam hasn’t worked I doubt bute would either. Most people don’t get to the point of X-ray they would cull as it is not commercially viable to investigate lameness to this degree, but if it’s a pet there’s no reason why you couldn’t x ray and see what it comes up with, but keep in mind quality of life and the winter coming.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 05:48:35 am »
I would cull, it could be anything, from a fracture to arthritus. Vets usually charge around £150 for the first four x-ray plus the vets time and relisticaly, what would you do if there was arthritus or a fracture that hasn't mended properly? Neither can be sucessfully treated in the long term.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 09:09:55 pm »
Hi, I've had my sheep's legs xrayed. They are pet sheep. The vet brought out a portable x Ray machine and it was fine for the sheep. Didn't really show anything much, thought it could be arthritis so put her on Rimadyl which worked quite well. Hope your girl is improving now. Just one other thing, one of my ewes was very lame and there was nothing obvious, tried all sorts, but then put a poultice on her hoof and it turned out to be a very deep seated abscess. Hope you get it sorted out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:57:58 pm by moprabbit »
4 pet sheep

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 09:17:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks.  2nd vet visit - currently trying soaking in magnesium sulphate solution in case it’s a deep seated infection.   :fc: 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS