Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: one of my sheep ate plastic  (Read 2721 times)

Newtosheep

• Joined Feb 2020
one of my sheep ate plastic
« on: September 26, 2020, 07:21:40 pm »
will it do her any harm it was a 6 inch by 3 inch piece of bale rap , i try to take out of her mouth but i didnt get it in time . it has me scared

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: one of my sheep ate plastic
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 09:20:38 pm »
I had one eat a blue glove once and she was ok.  She pulled it out of my hand ( they are very tame) and ran off.  Hope for the best and speak with your vet if worried.  :fc:

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 10:03:01 pm »
One of my girls ate a small plastic bag. I rang my vet and he said keep a close eye on her, make sure she's pooing and cudding as normal and hopefully all will be OK. It was! But I was very worried for about 3 or 4 days. Hope all's well with yours.
4 pet sheep

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:37:48 pm »
One of my lambs ate part of the plastic strap off my welly. Just pulled it straight off. She was fine  :)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 09:50:04 pm »
I have had ewes eat bits of net wrap before i could pull it out of their mouths and all were fine , but i think it will stay in the rumen . I remember watching  a vet program about cows in India eating plastic and it wasn't a problem until they ate so much that there was no room left for forage ,so the vet operated and removed a big pile of plastic and all was well so they could start eating plastic again

Newtosheep

• Joined Feb 2020
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 09:03:59 pm »
thank you everyone for the reply's, my ewe is fine  :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS