Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholder security  (Read 2911 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Smallholder security
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 02:54:52 pm »
I don’t know the brand, just eBay. The pir sensor goes outside and the bell bit inside. But is loud enough to be heard from outside so ‘they’ know you know. Cost about £10 plus batteries. Takes a bit of faff as goes off if pir lights shine on it so need to get it positioned carefully.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 12:29:28 am »
If you haven't already got one a large dog, that barks. We have CCTV, we also a have a camera doorbell, that rings when you walk past. We have a sensor at the back of the sheds, that also rings a bell. All the gates have padlocks. I live in organized clutter, so its difficult for someone to find things quickly. I tend to park cars to block the drive, and used to keep an old one with no MOT just for that when I had a trailer.
 My neighbour has CCTV, but still had something taken, they were in the garden, but didn't know they were there. I think something that alerts you to anyone coming on your property is more important than the cameras.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600m-Wireless-Driveway-Alarm-System-with-2-PIRs-Solar-Powered-No-need-to-re/254615864390?hash=item3b4849c446:g:GwEAAOSwZbJe13Cn

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 11:11:09 am »
I agree about alerting beforehand rather than advising afterwards.  However, both have their uses

My 6 year old Brittany girl was always keen of hearing but since my old cat, her pal, and her mum, Belle, died in the last few months she has become much more sensitive.

She often comes and looks at me when I can't hear or see anything and I have to go and check.  Many times it's a false alarm but on the majority of occasions she has heard vehicles coming down our road and slowing before they even turn in here.  So it's very useful in that I can be ready for visitors of any kind.

I also believe in sudden light.  I have LED PIRs all around the house.  So anyone intruding won't be able to determine when or where they will light up.  A friend of mine put in an expensive set of 'dusk to dawn' lights only to be told by our community bobby that they were more likely to be helpful to a burglar than a hindrance - and in addition her neighbours complained about always being bathed in light when they were trying to sleep.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS