Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Repurposed commercial into residential  (Read 5942 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Repurposed commercial into residential
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 12:03:20 pm »
[member=144981]Orinlooper[/member] please correct your formatting
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 12:14:29 pm »
Sorry about the large font previously. I wasn't shouting.  :roflanim: :roflanim:

I think the plan is to bring the new rules in during September.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 04:10:25 pm »
Anybody have more info on this?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 10:48:23 pm »
It's all there on the internet Orinlooper. You are better off looking on the official government website than getting snippets of information on a smallholders forum. If you find it complicated you would get the information explained more clearly if you joined a planning forum on facebook, where there are professional planners who are happy to explain things.

Alternatively have a look at Martin Goodall's Planning Blog, which is full of useful information.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Dookie

• Joined Dec 2018
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 04:55:06 pm »
The press release on gov.uk does appear to highlight building in towns. In the countryside there are less brownfield sites but they do exist so potentially they could benefit from a planning change.

You are only going to get a definite answer when the nitty gritty is ironed out and you make enquiries specific to your building with a planning dept.

I doubt and hope this is not going to open the floodgates on planning on greenfield sites in open country and if it does then the price of agricultural land, especially with buildings, is going to rocket.

Surely the difference is that agricultural land is not the same as previously developed (brownfield) land, though, whether on the greenbelt or greenfield? You can't turn agri land into residential, as far as I know... Dx
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:04:54 am by Dan »

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 08:35:25 am »
Has anyone got any new info about permitted development?

I hear it’s £95 to change usage from commercial to resi

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 10:35:08 am »
I have no idea .... but sounds rather cheap to me ..... cost us over £300 to change our cottage back to a holiday cottage (with no building changes or even a paint job) ....  and it had been a holiday cottage before
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 10:59:41 am »
Council prices have all gone up in recent years.  My building warrant this time cost £350, was £105 just a few years ago
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2021, 12:43:33 pm »
Has anyone got any new info about permitted development?

I hear it’s £95 to change usage from commercial to resi

Orinlooper - this is a smallholders' site, but nevertheless some of us have experience and knowledge of changing the use of buildings, and have imparted what we know to you.

So if one of us gave a perfectly reasoned and logical answer and said "Yes of course if you've got a substantial commercial building then you can change it to residential use without needing any sort of reference to planning or building control. Just go ahead and do it. There'll be no problem at all."  Would you just take their word for it because it's what you want to hear, or would you then consult a planning professional and find out exactly what you are legally allowed to do?

I imagine that whatever anyone on here said that you would eventually get professional advice about what you can and can't do. :thinking:  So why not do it, instead of asking a series of part questions which realistically no one can answer because you haven't given any details of your building?  An hour's consultation with a professional planner might cost you £100, and for what you potentially stand to gain would seem to be well worth it. But even a professional on here cannot give you an accurate answer without a lot more details than that you've "got a commercial building".

Rules are made:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2021, 03:23:59 pm »
Admin - can you check this [member=144981]Orinlooper[/member] out - seems to be just trying to find an easy and cheap way of making money
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2021, 05:58:44 pm »
Admin - can you check this [member=144981]Orinlooper[/member] out - seems to be just trying to find an easy and cheap way of making money
If they find one, I hope they share it. :coat:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2021, 06:07:16 pm »

Agreed :thumbsup: .
Guess we'd all like to have a goose that lays the golden egg. But surely it must be obvious that in order for her to keep laying the owner must expect to apply a certain amount of input and not leave it all to someone else to organise, or to chance.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:33:03 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS