Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Repurposed commercial into residential  (Read 5941 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Repurposed commercial into residential
« on: August 08, 2020, 07:51:46 am »
Does anybody have any good info on Boris announcements about build buil build?

Apparently you can repurpose commercial buildings into residential without planning permission?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Repurposed commercial into residential
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 10:03:00 am »
I understood it mainly applies to town centres but that all planning processes should involve less red tape.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 01:31:45 pm »
Thanks, do you have a link you can post?

How can we find out he details please?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 02:04:36 pm »
This is on gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-build-build-build

I don't know if the detail can be found yet.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:19:00 pm by harmony »

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 05:45:25 pm »
Thanks so much, so it comes in this September

I’m wondering if I could change my commercial building on my land to residential without the need of planning permission?

We got turned down years ago, but how can I find out if these changes will mean we can do it now?

From that link.... wider range of commercial buildings will be allowed to change to residential use without the need for a planning application.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 06:58:37 pm »
Go on the government website - look up "permitted development". Or simply google something like "permitted development commercial to residential".
Because you may not need planning does not mean you can just "do it"! You still have to apply for PD but it should be easier than planning.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 07:20:11 pm »
Agree with landroverroy - not removing the need for planning. And green belt and green spaces still protected.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 09:07:23 am »
Go on the government website - look up "permitted development". Or simply google something like "permitted development commercial to residential".
Because you may not need planning does not mean you can just "do it"! You still have to apply for PD but it should be easier than planning.

Thanks landroverroy

So you have to apply for permitted development from commercial to residential?

But I have been reading about how you don’t need to apply for planning and how local planners don’t like it?

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 09:10:15 am »
The new laws will allow developers to convert commercial and retail buildings into housing without making a full planning application extending permitted development (PD) rights that already allow office buildings to be converted.

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/07/21/permitted-development-law-uk-architecture-riba/

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 09:29:16 am »
Is there a difference between commercial and agricultural?

Our building that we want to convert to residential, I have a feeling it’s classed as agricultural not commercial

Are they the same thing?

If not what are the new PD rules for conversion of agricultural to residential?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 09:36:16 am »
Yes there is a difference in commercial and agricultural. Whether any detail is yet available I don't know as it has only been announced not passed.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 09:59:22 am »
Some PD doesn't need prior notification, some does.  So you still need to check the rules for the specific development you are planning.  Agri builds often require prior notification; this gives the planners a few weeks to let you know if there is a reason your proposed build needs full pp.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 10:19:01 am »
Also somebody said the new relaxed PD rules only apply to within towns?

But somebody else said no there are examples of developments in the country side, so which is it, does anybody know?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 11:16:46 am »
The press release on gov.uk does appear to highlight building in towns. In the countryside there are less brownfield sites but they do exist so potentially they could benefit from a planning change.

You are only going to get a definite answer when the nitty gritty is ironed out and you make enquiries specific to your building with a planning dept.

I doubt and hope this is not going to open the floodgates on planning on greenfield sites in open country and if it does then the price of agricultural land, especially with buildings, is going to rocket.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 11:54:15 am »
The press release on gov.uk does appear to highlight building in towns. In the countryside there are less brownfield sites but they do exist so potentially they could benefit from a planning change.

You are only going to get a definite answer when the nitty gritty is ironed out and you make enquiries specific to your building with a planning dept.

I doubt and hope this is not going to open the floodgates on planning on greenfield sites in open country and if it does then the price of agricultural land, especially with buildings, is going to rocket.

I wonder when we can find out for sure?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:05:23 am by Dan »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS