Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maggots  (Read 2448 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Maggots
« on: June 21, 2020, 12:24:58 pm »
I thought I would share this, as it's something we didn't look out for or expect, and we have been keeping poultry for 25 years.
Yesterday we noticed our cockerel, Porthos, was behaving oddly and was not happy.  He'd been checked out a few days before for parasites and we have pellets with Flubenvet on the way to worm them all ahead of new stock arriving.
We were shearing sheep all afternoon, and I realised that his behaviour was like that of a struck sheep - crouching down, then running fast to another place, usually next to one of his hens, then crouching again, then repeating that.  So he was upended and found to have a mucky backside and a bad smell.  Into a bowl of warm soapy water and the muck removed, then the cause was found - inside his cloaca was a load of maggots.  Inside and not visible from the outside.  Now all cleared out (I'm delighted to say that Mr F volunteered  :eyelashes: ) and a tiny bit of Crovect sprayed.  He's now isolated for a while and seems to be much happier so  :fc:  he recovers.

The two surprises I wanted to share are that he showed exactly the same behaviour as a struck sheep, and the other was that the maggots were inside and could not be seen from the exterior.
I hope this helps someone else.

Incidentally, Durham Hens has a good, simple symptoms and diagnosis page, from which I concluded that my little Speckledy Thomasina who died the other day had a heart attack - it was a very hot day and she was getting a bit older.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Maggots
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 04:50:01 pm »
As you will know by now Fleecewife, I don't keep livestock, but I follow lots of livestock posts (if only to remind myself to not keep livestock !!).  What sort of flies actually cause these problems?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:37:02 pm »
Usually greenbottles (a bit smaller than bluebottles but even more annoying) with sheep, but we didn't see any around the cockerel.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 07:38:53 pm »
The treatment appears to have worked as Porthos is out and about and just about back to normal today,  except he's avoiding his hens so perhaps he's not back to full function quite yet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 09:27:11 pm »
The treatment appears to have worked as Porthos is out and about and just about back to normal today,  except he's avoiding his hens so perhaps he's not back to full function quite yet.
Maybe he thinks it was them that made him feel odd?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 09:51:40 am »
It sounds horrid. Well done for sorting it out. And thanks for letting us know. There is always something to learn............

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 12:50:40 pm »
Maybe he thinks it was them that made him feel odd?

I think he's just still got a pain in his doodah  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 12:54:16 pm »
It sounds horrid. Well done for sorting it out. And thanks for letting us know. There is always something to learn............

Thank you Possum  :thumbsup:  I've just reminded myself of why I don't eat pheasant - my Dad used to hang them for so long you could shake the maggots out  :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:  I hate maggots - I know they have a place in the Circle of Life, but it's somewhere I prefer not to go quite yet   :tired:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 06:41:17 pm »
Oh yuk, that would have put me off pheasant too - when we were shooting we used to peel them as soon as we got home and only use the breasts, the skin/featherss and everything else got binned or left out for the foxes,  Our shooting friends laughed at us, but even they only hung them fro a week, or two at the most and in nets in a cool barn
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 07:49:06 pm »
I used to get given a lot of pheasants when I had friends with a shoot; a lot of the guns didn't want their birds, and presumably the beaters all got plenty but there were still some left over.

My practise was to hang them for 4 days in a cool shed if the temp was above around 5C, and up to 7 days if the temp was lower. 

They were ready when the feathers were coming out easily without tearing the skin, and just a bit too far if it was hard to remove the feathers without tearing the skin.

But I have missed a step.  I'd get them home, tied by the legs in braces, and go to the old stable we used to hang them in.  Tie them up to the beam, detach the cat that had leaped up and spreadeagled himself around them as soon as I got out the car...  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 09:57:39 pm »

Well, I spoke too soon as after a day of looking fairly perky, Porthos suddenly keeled over tonight.  He was a good cock, he looked after his hens very politely and diligently and didn't crow too loudly (in fact he had a hilarious strangled kind of crow which set me off giggling every time  :hughen: ) He had reached a fair age, but not the nicest way to go.  At least he was rid of the maggots I suppose.  From now on we shall keep the same kind of eye on hen's bums as we do on the sheep in warm humid weather.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 01:42:39 pm »
So sorrry, Juliet. Not nice losing any animal, especially when you tried so hard to help him.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 06:23:00 pm »
So sorrry, Juliet. Not nice losing any animal, especially when you tried so hard to help him.

Yes, always sad but as you say we did our best by him.  We have certainly learnt something important and I hope it is useful to anyone reading about it.  The hens seem totally unfazed about the whole thing  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS