Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen with Coccidiosis  (Read 1160 times)

leeoldroyd

• Joined Jul 2020
Hen with Coccidiosis
« on: July 02, 2020, 06:44:04 pm »
Advice please
I have two hens that I purchased three weeks ago and I believe one is suffering from Coccidiosis. I have always cleaned the coop daily with clean bedding, along with water and pellet feeder. They are currently fed layer pellets with the odd serving of corn only as a treat with grit and oyster shell close by should they need it.

The poorly one is not eating but is drinking, I have mixed a little bread with water and a drop of vinegar which she us have a little at a time - is there anything else I could do to help with a recovery?

Thank you in advance, Lee

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Hen with Coccidiosis
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 10:44:00 pm »
What makes you think she has cocci? Has a pooh sample been tested at the vet’s and confirmed a heavy cocci load?

If she has a heavy enough cocci load to make her ill, then you’d give her coccidiostat. Needs to be confirmed first, though, not just if cocci is a possibility as a hundred and one other things could be causing lack of food intake and unnecessary coccidiostat would do more harm than good.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS