Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: trailer  (Read 2103 times)

Gardners Cottage

• Joined Aug 2019
trailer
« on: May 31, 2020, 01:00:19 am »
Hi guys,
not sure if I am posting in the right subsection but feel free to 'address me' to the right place.

I have a B type driving license. I should be able use trailer + car of about 3.5ton. This should allow me to pull few sheeps in a light trailer.. I have about 2 ton car. What if I need to tug more? Do I actually need to get a proper new license or overall it is very difficult you get weighted, would gambling not to get stopped be sufficient?

Also, would a car insurance cover also for the trailer or is it something additional? Do they need to be MOTed?

I am not an expert..please help,

Thanks

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 09:47:32 am »
First thing - what does your license actually say?

If you just have "B" (car), that's different to "BE" (car plus trailer).

That's not to say you can't tow a trailer with just B, but you'll have a different trailer weight limit.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:07:48 am »
Trailers in the UK don't need to be MOT'd and they carry the registration number of the towing vehicle. Your car will have a plate on it telling you the maximum you can tow. Your car insurance will only cover the car but should be valid with the trailer. It may cover the trailer contents as well? We took out separate insurance for our box van trailer which covered accident damage to trailer and contents, theft and vandalism, but it wasn't cheap. Sorry if it's all changed now as it's a while since I lived in England?

As an aside, if anyone brings a trailer to France to keep here it will need a certificate of conformity, registration for a unique vehicle number and insurance. The towing weight maximum is 350Kg unless you take a test and have a yearly medical.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 10:50:05 am »

It isn't about getting a different licence it is about not towing anymore weight than you are allowed. If you need to tow more then you need to upgrade your towing vehicle.

Yes, you can risk it but if you have an accident it wont be worth it. And also VOSA set up road blocks to pull in vehicle to check this type of thing, so if you happen to be pulled in you will be caught.

Don't assume your insurance covers towing or livestock. Check first.

Gardners Cottage

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 11:18:52 am »
Hi guys, thanks a lot! Driving license only says ‘B’ but effectively I can tow small trailer. Will check with the insurance directly before committing to any purchase! Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 12:41:30 pm »
First thing - what does your license actually say?

If you just have "B" (car), that's different to "BE" (car plus trailer).

That's not to say you can't tow a trailer with just B, but you'll have a different trailer weight limit.
What does the line fklnpq mean?  My licence is valid till Jan 2023 for that, and also for AM, A, B1, B, BE - and what do the numbers in column 12 mean?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 12:49:35 pm »
B category is passed after 1997 so you can tow an unbraked trailer up to 750kg or a braked trailer provided the Maximum Authorised Mass of the car plus trailer is under 3500kg (3.5t). I tow with an Audi Q5 (1800kg) and a small unbraked sheep trailer 750kg- this is fine. I also tow a braked box trailer plated to 1100kg (weighs 600kg, so have 500kg of weight to carry). But I can’t tow my 3.5t big cattle box, even if it’s empty.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS