Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone know where I can buy wholemeal bread flour online during lockdown?  (Read 5949 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Thats a shame Fleecewife, I suppose you've tried ringing Mungo Well Mills?  ???
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Thats a shame Fleecewife, I suppose you've tried ringing Mungo Well Mills?  ???

All the mills ask that people don't phone or email because they have no-one to answer, so no, I haven't tried.  I'll just persevere with trying to catch websites when they are open.  Even then it can apparently take up to 3 weeks for the flour to arrive.  I have though started searching before I have totally run out of flour, so I have a little leeway  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Fair point re reduced staffing levels. We finally got suma wholemeal via the health shop. Hope you manage to track some down  :fc:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
An update on my flour delivery.  It arrived as promised 5 days after ordering.  We baked a loaf overnight and it looks good. 

This is the link to it on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184278841296?ViewItem=&item=184278841296 - £24.50 for 16kg bag  or cheaper if you order 2 bags

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Thanks [member=28376]wayfarer[/member] .  I checked on ebay again and found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bradshaws-Wholemeal-Strong-Bread-Flour-16kg/264724631949?hash=item3da2d1518d:g:8aMAAOSwdPRetUnA which I've sent off for. It looks good although it's not organic.  Use by date is September this year so we'll need to eat plenty of bread between now and then  :yum:  or freeze loaves.  I find that older flour does tend to make poorer bread, so I was wary of flour with no use by date on ebay.
I shall still pursue Mungoes Wells and Scotland the Bread.
I'll let you know if this bag of flour works out well.

Thank you to everyone who has helped in my search  :bouquet:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:43:19 pm by Fleecewife »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
I was recommended Shipton Mill .. not tried yet.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
I was recommended Shipton Mill .. not tried yet.

With Shipton Mill you have to have a delivery slot before you can order.  Apparently new delivery slots pop up at various times of the day.  So far I haven't found one.  I think searching round the mills can become a bit of a part time job  :D
As I have a sack of flour on order, as long as it turns up my search is no longer urgent.  Perhaps the situation will start to get better soon anyway  :fc:

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
I spent a week trying all the various mills to get some flour and had pretty much given up but found that mungowells were the only ones to have stock I could buy. Bought a sack each of white and wholemeal and it was delivered 2 days later. Shipping is pricey but it's the best option I could find.

Oh and Mole Valley Farmers had tins of dried yeast on the shelf yesterday. I had one tin already but picked up another in case anyone in the family runs out and I can post them some.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Scotland The Bread re-opened this morning and is still taking orders:
https://scotlandthebread.org/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Scotland The Bread re-opened this morning and is still taking orders:
https://scotlandthebread.org/

My hopes were raised; my hopes were dashed  :(  I thought I could collect from Macbiehill which is just a few miles away, but it apparently has to be from St Monans - I don't think we'd get away with the trip, even for food, maybe up to 150 miles round trip......
But thank you Dan - I think I'm getting closer.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Just got an email reply from Mungoes Wells which says their website is open from 2130 to 2230 most nights, as that's when they can man (woman) it.

Willow

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Biggar

The Orchard, Biggar has 16kg bulk bags, place order via email, pay via BACS and collect. 

A recent posting on their facebook page details what they have.  They are also open to sourcing what you are looking for.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs

The Orchard, Biggar has 16kg bulk bags, place order via email, pay via BACS and collect. 

A recent posting on their facebook page details what they have.  They are also open to sourcing what you are looking for.

Oh, we spoke to them today to ask what they have and there was no mention of 16kg sacks.  We ordered some small bags which our good friend will collect for us, as we are in guarding isolation.  Thanks for the info Willow

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Thanks [member=28376]wayfarer[/member] .  I checked on ebay again and found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bradshaws-Wholemeal-Strong-Bread-Flour-16kg/264724631949?hash=item3da2d1518d:g:8aMAAOSwdPRetUnA which I've sent off for. It looks good although it's not organic.  Use by date is September this year so we'll need to eat plenty of bread between now and then  :yum:  or freeze loaves.  I find that older flour does tend to make poorer bread, so I was wary of flour with no use by date on ebay.
I shall still pursue Mungoes Wells and Scotland the Bread.
I'll let you know if this bag of flour works out well.

Thank you to everyone who has helped in my search  :bouquet:

Well, my 16kg sack of Bradshaws flour bought on ebay arrived yesterday and overnight I made a loaf in the breadmaker, using 80% wholemeal and 20% Wessex Mill 6 seeded flour.  The loaf waiting for us this morning was truly delicious, with plenty of texture and taste, but not a solid brick.  I am really impressed with the flour, which is just as well with another 15.5 kgs to go  :thumbsup: :hungry:  Thank you [member=28376]wayfarer[/member] for pointing me towards ebay.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs

Thanks [member=2257]Willow[/member] , we have spoken with them again and they are ordering up bulk sacks for us  :thumbsup:.  We shall soon have so much flour it will take 6 months to use up.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.  I hope this thread has helped anyone else searching for bread flour.  It has let me realise that there are other sources than I had thought, and I had not previously heard of the 'Scotland the bread' project  :trophy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS