Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Afternoon naps  (Read 1847 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Afternoon naps
« on: May 17, 2020, 06:52:12 pm »
I know I'm getting on a bit, old and crumbly ! but recently due to the "alarm clock " waking me from by bed at 03:55 hrs and the insistence it conveys I have been getting up earlier than normal .
Therefore by mid afternoon I am flagging a bit and find I'm in need of 40 winks ( 2 hours ) , in years past this wouldn't have bothered me I was able to work through until late in the day.
Is this the new norm do you think ? Any of you old'uns have the same desire for a siesta post lunch ?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Afternoon naps
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 06:57:49 pm »
Well of course  ;D   Just go with the flow (er, is that an appropriate phrase?)  Sleeping is how your body and brain repair themselves and as we get increasingly decrepit, we need a bit more repair.  Just give in to it  :surrender:  I bet you work far harder during the day than most folk your age.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:17:02 pm »
Well of course  ;D   Just go with the flow (er, is that an appropriate phrase?)  Sleeping is how your body and brain repair themselves and as we get increasingly decrepit, we need a bit more repair.  Just give in to it  :surrender:  I bet you work far harder during the day than most folk your age.
I should have made it a little clearer , Mr alarm clock is black with two legs and yellow beak !!!
We smallholders all work harder than the unlucky folk .

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:49:07 pm »
Do you find your alarm clock still wakes you?   I find I'm now immune to it, even though we now have a really big one with a huge multicoloured tail :-)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 11:59:16 pm »
I should have made it a little clearer , Mr alarm clock is black with two legs and yellow beak !!!

Ah, there was me thinking it was the small hours call of the lesser tinkle!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 12:08:38 am »
Do you find your alarm clock still wakes you?   I find I'm now immune to it, even though we now have a really big one with a huge multicoloured tail :-)
Immune, with him about 2 feet away on the window ledge, it’s him that’s immune to the waving, threats and
bribes of food.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the dawn chorus ,from a distance. At least at night his is in the tree for his “natter”
with his mates and that’s quite soporific

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 08:20:55 am »
20, 40 or 80 winks in the afternoon when time and work allows is part of the daily routine for a lot of older farmers and smallholders I think.  If go to bed early enough I don't always need the nap but with your rising time I think most of us would need a power snooze at the very least!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 10:56:20 am »
It's perfectly normal here, especially in the heat. Standard 2 hour lunch breaks (1200 -1400) mean you can eat and then sleep before going back to work. For me 40 minutes is enough with the longer days and I only have two meals, so nothing at lunchtime. Problem is we have to be quiet in that period, so no mowing or strimming, because our neighbours are asleep and are likely to complain if woken.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 11:55:53 am »

"I should have made it a little clearer , Mr alarm clock is black with two legs and yellow beak !!!
"

Possibly you need to take charge of the situation RTB. :thinking:  Can you not put out his food the night before and make it a self service buffet rather than waiter service?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 08:05:28 pm »

"I should have made it a little clearer , Mr alarm clock is black with two legs and yellow beak !!!
"

Possibly you need to take charge of the situation RTB. :thinking:  Can you not put out his food the night before and make it a self service buffet rather than waiter service?
I have placed the bird food location about 50 yards away , there is always feed for the morning , something available midday ish and the pre bed time snacks, its always worked well for everyone else. for the last 30 odd years*.except this lad and his territorial predecessors.

*It was after our first couple of years here when we had Mother in Law staying on holiday  in her campervan, she remarked on the early bird, I told her although a nice awakening just early .
At that time MiL ran a theatrical guest house and had a wide range of contacts , one evening the phone rang, she passed it to me and on the line was Pete Budd of the Wurzles and what did he sing ?  Blackbird.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS