Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone know where I can buy wholemeal bread flour online during lockdown?  (Read 5953 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
I've searched every mill and site I can think of, googled for hours, but no-one seems to have any wholemeal bread flour.  I am now down to my last bag.  We are getting our groceries from Sainsburys but they've had none for weeks, just occasionally brown flour.  I used to get my flour supplies from our local small grocers in town, but they can't get any more in from the mill either.  Even wholemeal bread is difficult to get from Sainsburys, depending on collection time, and there's just nothing like homemade bread.
I know the mills claim they have plenty of flour milled, but just no 'colleagues' to fill the bags.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cans

• Joined May 2013
I read the other day that Morrison’s and I think Asda are now selling flour from their instore bakeries, which doesn’t help for those self isolating.
Also try looking for the wee local village takeaway cafes/bakers that are still operating as some may be selling flour in kilo bags. 
Peeking at their Facebook pages will provide information needed (or not!)

HTH

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
I have had flour (stoneground wholemeal) from Heatherslaw Mill (via Healthfood shop in Kelso) recently, but also couldn't find any online. Only 1.5kg bags though. Not been able to get spelt (our favourite) from Doves since March now...

Fortunately OH got some white bread flour in Lidl yesterday, so eeking out my wholemeal a bit longer by mixing. I am making sourdough though.

Bread Matters doesn't seem to have anything either - but maybe they re-open their online shop every so often - you could try and see if you can collect, they are just up the road from you?

When we go back to some kind of normality I will start to buy 15kg bags, so this faffing about can stop!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Try Scotland the Bread. But like many, they're only opening the shop periodically so that they can cope with demand. It's great news for the project - hope demand continues after lockdown.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Thanks all  :thumbsup:   The mill at Etal, Heatherslaw, says 'the shop is in maintenance'.  Scotland the Bread is at Macbiehill which is about 15 miles from us to collect, which would be fine as we go there for engineering too, but it is doing the 'opening at occasional times' thing, as are most of the other millers.
Shipton Mill opens at 1000, briefly, but only with certain products - not wholemeal today.
I've been watering down my loaves with white and 'brown' about as far as I can go, but I now have so little wholemeal left that I'm starting to panic.
Yes we are in guarding isolation, so really collection is out, and searching round shops on the offchance is also out, hence online to be delivered to the door.
They say the problem is caused by people doing lots of home baking where they didn't before.  I've made my own bread all my life (since I was about 4)...oh stop moaning woman  :roflanim:

I'll just keep checking on all the mills every day then and hope to get lucky.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:57:08 am by Fleecewife »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
It's quite funny - I am now beginning to convert my OH successfully to "East German" shopping habits - you don't buy what you want when you want it - you buy what you want when it is available (even if you don't need it for a while) or you buy what's available when whatever you want is not available.... so we are buying whatever flour (suitable for breadmaking, but I have used 00 flour as well in combination with wholemeal) is available. My sourdough starter has been very understanding and the loaves still turn out great.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Have you tried Mungo Wells Mill, Fleecewife - they have been providing flour to our health shop - I can't eat wholemeal but hubby needs it and have only now been able to get some since March.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Have you tried Mungo Wells Mill, Fleecewife - they have been providing flour to our health shop - I can't eat wholemeal but hubby needs it and have only now been able to get some since March.

The totally frustrating thing Polyanya is that Mungoes wells has what I need - 16kg wholemeal organic bread flour, available and in stock -  but when I try to put it in my basket up pops a sign saying " this store has not been completely set up" and nothing moves from that point.  Otherwise they seem to be functioning well  ???

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
I have ordered a 16kg bag on eBay.  Its due to arrive tomorrow.  A 16kg bag of white flour also from eBay was successfully delivered yesterday.  They each cost about £25.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Try Scotland the Bread. But like many, they're only opening the shop periodically so that they can cope with demand. It's great news for the project - hope demand continues after lockdown.
Online shop clsoed
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
http://www.nabim.org.uk/news/article/1926/where-can-i-buy-flour

Thanks for this.  Unfortunately the only places vaguely near here required the flour to be picked up from the store.  As we are in strict guarding isolation it rules them out.  Unless places have a click and collect system or will deliver then we cannot use them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
I have ordered a 16kg bag on eBay.  Its due to arrive tomorrow.  A 16kg bag of white flour also from eBay was successfully delivered yesterday.  They each cost about £25.

I looked on ebay and repeat frequently, but I balk at £13 delivery, and no mnetion of expiry dates or even the source.  I shall be interested in how your purchase pans out [member=28376]wayfarer[/member], so please let us know.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Online shop clsoed

It usually opens every Monday morning for a few hours.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
I'll check then thanks Dan. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS